• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story Friday, Jan 24, 2020

https://egscomics.com/comic/party-113
... I think that it wasn't just for Susan but also because Tedd wasn't sure about Ashley's opinion. But it's nice from Susan that she took it on herself.

... of course, Susan already tried being FV5 and I don't think it was bad experience for her :)

Also, having reactions from multiple people is nice, but I must admit I'm looking forward to them actually casting another spell.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

https://egscomics.com/comic/party-113
... I think that it wasn't just for Susan but also because Tedd wasn't sure about Ashley's opinion. But it's nice from Susan that she took it on herself.

... of course, Susan already tried being FV5 and I don't think it was bad experience for her :)

Also, having reactions from multiple people is nice, but I must admit I'm looking forward to them actually casting another spell.

Well, Tedd didn't know that Susan was going to be there, and in fact thought she wasn't based on the pre-party events, so I don't think it was 100% for her but was for Ashley.  I'm surprised that she didn't include 'Sexy morphs' but not 100% surprised.  Tedd has grown a lot in the last few years (comic time, of course).

6 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Someday we may yet get to see magic being used by a human who isn't essentially descent and honourable before it ends up corrupting them

But not today

These kids are all too darn nice for their own good

Well there was "Not-Tengu" who was using magic and I suspect he didn't start as descent and honourable, but I could be wrong.

14 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well there was "Not-Tengu" who was using magic and I suspect he didn't start as descent and honourable, but I could be wrong.

Exactly

We never saw him until long after he had been corrupted

I am wondering about the path that begins with a slightly flawed human gaining power and then seeing how fast and far they descend

2 hours ago, AFNB said:

It might also be a noteworthy example of Tedd's character growth.  Compare her attitude in the relevant strip of this topic to his attitude a couple years ago (comic time).

Tedd: ...Oh, dear Lord, what have I become?

Elliot: I dunno. Mature?

Tedd: Blasphemy.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am wondering about the path that begins with a slightly flawed human gaining power and then seeing how fast and far they descend

Oh.

That previous sentence was somewhat hard to parse.

Considering the temptation they face, it's definitely weird that instead of them getting more and more corrupted by it, we tend to see the opposite effect. Although it may be related to DAN maturing. (Which is really unfortunate, Peter Pan would not approve etc ...)

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Oh.

That previous sentence was somewhat hard to parse.

Considering the temptation they face, it's definitely weird that instead of them getting more and more corrupted by it, we tend to see the opposite effect. Although it may be related to DAN maturing. (Which is really unfortunate, Peter Pan would not approve etc ...)

Dan has been consistent with cleaning up most of the folks who have exhibited a negative side, as if they changed that drastically in maturing. Original Diane vs current Diane is the most blatant example, but there are plenty of others. It is, in fact, the feature I least like about the comic, because to me it seems unrealistic; real people are stubborn about changing their ways. My experience says that we are cast in a mold derived from both of our parents and our early upbringing, and we will drag that baggage around with us for life.

Case in point, my parents were both pack rats, and I'm a pack rat. I've had harsh circumstances that are helping me overcome that, but each step is painful. My current hurdle is books, most specifically text books. I should probably get rid of a hundred. I don't want to.

Perhaps it's me; maybe I'm overly negative in my outlook. Obviously, I don't think so, but that's looping back to my point, isn't it? So, sorry, Pollyanna, but if you're right, I'm not seeing it, and I'm not likely to change my view. (I'm not accusing anyone of having a Pollyanna point of view, except maybe Dan, so if you have trouble parsing that, it's "hypothetical Pollyanna".)

To be fair, EGS takes place in a different universe; maybe the flexible responses of the people are a result of being from somewhere else and not being exactly human.

So, my point with all of this is, I don't think the "Considering the temptation they face, it's definitely weird that instead of them getting more and more corrupted by it, we tend to see the opposite effect" is a result of Dan maturing; I feel it's the opposite; I think it is a point of naivety on his part that he could potentially mature out of.

On 01/25/2020 at 0:52 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

So, my point with all of this is, I don't think the "Considering the temptation they face, it's definitely weird that instead of them getting more and more corrupted by it, we tend to see the opposite effect" is a result of Dan maturing; I feel it's the opposite; I think it is a point of naivety on his part that he could potentially mature out of.

There is more than single step on way to maturity.

I think that lot of the stuff early characters had and lost were things Dan wasn't aware to be bad (or as bad) first. Now he consider them bad but something characters can get rid of. Next step may be realizing that people don't change that way :)

On 1/24/2020 at 6:18 AM, mlooney said:

Well, Tedd didn't know that Susan was going to be there, and in fact thought she wasn't based on the pre-party events, so I don't think it was 100% for her but was for Ashley.  I'm surprised that she didn't include 'Sexy morphs' but not 100% surprised.  Tedd has grown a lot in the last few years (comic time, of course).

Tedd might have been hoping Susan would end up coming to the party, she did make sure to let Susan know the invitation was open to her after all, it's not all that surprising Tedd might have prepared on the chance that Susan would be there.

On 1/24/2020 at 10:24 AM, AFNB said:

It might also be a noteworthy example of Tedd's character growth.  Compare her attitude in the relevant strip of this topic to his attitude a couple years ago (comic time).

Actually, it should be almost if not exactly 1 year comic time since Lunchtable Revelations. So Tedd's grown quite a bit in that time.

On 1/25/2020 at 6:52 AM, Darth Fluffy said:

Original Diane vs current Diane is the most blatant example,

That's only because Diane suffered from lack of panel time to show more of her personality, up until End of an Era, we only saw a few snippets of her and even less of Lucy, so we didn't get a real look at their dynamic beyond "oh Diane said this homophobic thing to Justin, Lucy apparently doesn't like Rhoda, but Diane's very protective towards Rhoda."

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Tedd might have been hoping Susan would end up coming to the party, she did make sure to let Susan know the invitation was open to her after all, it's not all that surprising Tedd might have prepared on the chance that Susan would be there.

Actually, it should be almost if not exactly 1 year comic time since Lunchtable Revelations. So Tedd's grown quite a bit in that time.

That's only because Diane suffered from lack of panel time to show more of her personality, up until End of an Era, we only saw a few snippets of her and even less of Lucy, so we didn't get a real look at their dynamic beyond "oh Diane said this homophobic thing to Justin, Lucy apparently doesn't like Rhoda, but Diane's very protective towards Rhoda."

Arguing with her 12 year old self in the mirror was a turning point. I prefer the new Diane character, she's interesting; the previous one was shallow. It still feels like an abrupt turn that real humans don't make without a lot of drama.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

People can make abrupt changes in their lives

I've heard this rumor. I have yet to see major examples. Do you know of any?

I have seen people clean up their act on a temporary basis. I have seen them keep it up for months. A few months.

The truly transformative changes I've seen tend toward the negative. They tend to involve either traumatic events pushing someone into a dark place or restraint being removed and someone dropping a facade they've been wearing for years. <shrug>, I hope you're right.

And the drama, though common, is optional

Well, of course it is. That's why it's so sad when no one chooses that option. Again, counterexamples are welcome.

Sometimes the drama is provided by someone who did not change and refuses to accept that anyone else has changed

That is definitely true.

I'd add that often drama is added by those with no horse in the race.