• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Monday March 21, 2016

30 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I really like this theory. It may even make sense in that the whales are actually incapable of feeding in an oversaturated area -- the food is simply too 'rich' for them.

Either that, or it becomes ineffective to stay in a spot thats already peaked and they slow it more if they go to an area that hasn't peaked yet. but then you run into the problem of needing to cover larger areas as you move outward. I don't how many whales would be needed to do that.

7 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

This post made me think of the "why", as in why would Pandora bother to partially clog the magic drain in Moperville in the first place? If it's her who plugged it up completely, which seems quite likely, then why had she bothered to elevate the magic level many years ago?

My current theory is that it all started when Adrian moved there, and that she did it in order to ensure he had easy access to an ample amount of magic. In other words she was trying to be nice to her son.

Once she decided that remodeling the world in order to make it a better place for Adrian turning off the drain entirely was just a matter of tweaking whatever she'd already done to it all those years ago.

Pick it apart and kick it around.

Either Pandora did it for Adrian, or she did it for Tedd, or maybe both since Adrian is Tedd's godfather

19 hours ago, Scotty said:

Well, it really depends on if Grace and/or Ellen have Adrian for any classes this year, I say and/or because it's possible that the provision for Grace and Ellen to have the same schedule only applied to the previous year so that Ellen could help Grace adjust to being in school, there's a good chance Grace doesn't need that anymore.

Why would it depend on that? If Raven really wanted to train Grace and/or her friends, he could easily talk to them outside of class. Still, I think it's up to the Main Eight to ask him first if they want his help.

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's possible that after Edward hears about the number of vampires, HE will ask Greg to train them in combat. It is questionable if DGB have anyone as good for training as Greg is, and enlisting them in DGB would put them under Arthur Arthur's orders ...

I'm sure DGB has some competent magic teachers, but yes, I also think it'd be wiser to train with Greg or Raven. Arthur may not be an antagonist, but he doesn't seem to be very useful as a leader and I doubt he'd want a bunch of kids learning magic under his supervision, especially since he still wants to keep the availability of magic a secret. Of course, I could be wrong and the only way he would want those kids to learn magic would be under his supervision, but that might not end well.

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, I would say that YES, he did decided that he shouldn't do to Grace what he did to Noriko. This might include not planing to train her, although he may change mind if asked OR if he notices what's happening and that he needs as many people as he can get.

Note that I don't think it's Greg OR Raven: Raven can teach magic, but he is likely limited in physical training. Most of main eight would benefit from BOTH training them.

I agree with all of this.

13 hours ago, ijuin said:

Adrian knows about Grace and Nanase and Ellen (even if he doesn't know any of Ellen's specific spells/powers beyond that she is Awakened and has the Dewitchery Diamond-granted ability). He knows about Tedd even if he doesn't know the details of Tedd's "dangerous rarity" or Tedd's ability to in-depth analyze magic by sight. He may suspect that Elliot is Awakened (especially if he knows that it was Elliot who was split by the Diamond to create Ellen), but he probably has no awareness of Sarah or Susan at all, and Justin is probably also outside of his radar.

Like Scotty already said, Raven most likely sensed Justin's power as well. My guess is that he sensed the skills Justin had learned at the ASMA dojo before he got his mark.

Anyway, wow, I was way off when I said that Raven doesn't know about most of the Main Eight. I think you're right, Sarah and Susan are probably the only ones he hasn't met or heard of. Noah told him about Elliot, but it's unknown if Noah told him that Elliot is Ellen's brother, though I don't see why he wouldn't have told him that.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, EVERYONE knows Elliot now, so it really doesn't even matter how much Raven knew about him before.

4 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

My current theory is that it all started when Adrian moved there, and that she did it in order to ensure he had easy access to an ample amount of magic. In other words she was trying to be nice to her son.

Once she decided that remodeling the world in order to make it a better place for Adrian, turning off the drain entirely was just a matter of tweaking whatever she'd already done to it all those years ago.

This theory has some holes in it. I don't doubt that Pandora was the one who slowed the flow of magic in Moperville years ago, but it can't have happened when Raven first moved there. Remember, Raven taught Tedd's parents and Nanase's mom in high school and the whale said that Moperville had had more magic than usual for "most of Tedd's life" - in other words, long after Raven moved to Moperville and taught Tedd's parents.

I believe that Raven had a big fight with his mother fourteen years ago for whatever reason, and that's when she decided to slow the flow of magic in Moperville to either give her son more magic to use as an apology or to see him struggle to figure out just what the hell had happened.

23 hours ago, comicalArchitect said:

I have been wondering what the Main 8 are going to do with their lives after graduating. Perhaps some of them will go into the DGB and fight monsters full-time. Nanase and the Dunkels seem the most likely to do something like that. Susan and Grace both seem like they'd want to go to college, Tedd has his research to continue, Sarah isn't a fighter and wouldn't want to reveal her abilities anyhow, and Justin has never seemed to care that much about magic.

I suspect that Mrs. Kitsune won't allow Nanase to go hunting monsters fulltime before at least two degrees and child. (Or one degree and two children?)

Tedd sure have his research, but DGB would probably pay him for it.

5 hours ago, SeriousJupiter said:

I'm sure DGB has some competent magic teachers, but yes, I also think it'd be wiser to train with Greg or Raven.

I'm not. Or at least Edward doesn't think so highly about those teachers, as he didn't mentioned them AT ALL. Sure, it's possible that those teachers don't like to teach children, but that only shows they are not as competent.

Arthur may not be an antagonist, but he doesn't seem to be very useful as a leader and I doubt he'd want a bunch of kids learning magic under his supervision, especially since he still wants to keep the availability of magic a secret.

... also this.

Remember, Raven taught Tedd's parents and Nanase's mom in high school and the whale said that Moperville had had more magic than usual for "most of Tedd's life" - in other words, long after Raven moved to Moperville and taught Tedd's parents.

We can't be entirely sure it was Moperville high school - but yes, it does seem most likely. But remember also that Arthur Arthur tried to deport Raven to Russia, which presumably happened soon after he arrived ... and Arthur Arthur can't be THAT old.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

But remember also that Arthur Arthur tried to deport Raven to Russia, which presumably happened soon after he arrived

You are probably correct...

... for at least one of the two applicable possible values of "he".

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I suspect that Mrs. Kitsune won't allow Nanase to go hunting monsters fulltime before at least two degrees and child. (Or one degree and two children?)

I probably goes without saying that Mama Kitsune would like to have grandchildren. But the whole thing about Nanase needing to keep up her studies and maintain her trilingualism only for her to be a homemaker? We know how much she knows about Nanase and her magic. She's gotta know she has the same potential that Noriko has and though she might have thrown her sister out of her family's life after what she left Edward and Tedd, Mama Kitsune probably still acknowledges that Nanase will some day following the path of the monster hunter. So all that studying she requires of Nanase is to make sure she can handle herself in other parts of the world. Getting Nanase on that France trip a couple years earlier than she should have might have been part of it too, seeing the world that is, I doubt she expected Nanase to run into a vampire that soon.

Assuming that Edward told Mama Kitsune who not-Tengu was, then we can assume that she is now aware that there are magic-users who are actively hunting her daughter. Under such circumstances, there are really only two sane responses:

1: get Nanase much MUCH better protection

or 2: ensure that Nanase becomes as strong as possible.

If Mama Kitsune is also aware that Nanase's closest friends are all magic-users, then she can accomplish both of these ends by doing whatever she can to have all of the Main Eight develop their strength. Of course, most of it would be done behind-the-scenes, since she is not yet willing to let Nanase know how much she knows about it all.

We don't know all of what Cranium told Mama Kitsune at the hospital after Abraham's attack though, she might (and I think likely) have left out the fact that Ellen is a magical duplicate of Nanase's ex boyfriend, although that is assuming Nanase told her mom about Elliot before they broke up.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

I probably goes without saying that Mama Kitsune would like to have grandchildren. But the whole thing about Nanase needing to keep up her studies and maintain her trilingualism only for her to be a homemaker? We know how much she knows about Nanase and her magic.

No we don't. We only know that she knows more than we know she knows, which is already way more than Nanase know she knows.

She's gotta know she has the same potential that Noriko has and though she might have thrown her sister out of her family's life after what she left Edward and Tedd, Mama Kitsune probably still acknowledges that Nanase will some day following the path of the monster hunter. So all that studying she requires of Nanase is to make sure she can handle herself in other parts of the world.

... that makes sense. I mean, I still think Mrs. Kitsune don't like her daughter hunting monsters, but yes, it's entirely possible she realized she can't do anything against that ... she DID sent her to the school Raven teaches in, after all ...

Getting Nanase on that France trip a couple years earlier than she should have might have been part of it too, seeing the world that is, I doubt she expected Nanase to run into a vampire that soon.

It was SUSAN who was sent there couple years earlier. Nanase actually known enough french to go there without parent intervention.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

Assuming that Edward told Mama Kitsune who not-Tengu was, then we can assume that she is now aware that there are magic-users who are actively hunting her daughter. Under such circumstances, there are really only two sane responses:

If Mama Kitsune is also aware that Nanase's closest friends are all magic-users, then she can accomplish both of these ends by doing whatever she can to have all of the Main Eight develop their strength. Of course, most of it would be done behind-the-scenes, since she is not yet willing to let Nanase know how much she knows about it all.

You forgot to mention one assumption you are making: that she wasn't aware that there are magic-users who are actively hunting her daughter BEFORE. Despite her "I don't have a sister", she knows much more about Noriko than we do.

... maybe her reaction to Ellen dating her daughter would be worse if Ellen wouldn't be magic user. She likely tried to keep her away from Tedd before, but now she seem to gave up that plan and might be scheming to empower the Main Eight ...

(About the "aware of her friends being magic-users" ... well, even if not directly told, she likely could realize what Greg's training is doing. So we can assume she knows about Elliot, Ellen and Justin being magic-users or on the way to becoming them, and she likely knows about Susan. Not sure what she thinks about Tedd. Not sure if she knows Sarah and Grace at all - she may not even know about them being Nanase's friends - wait. She gave Nanase the task of helping Tedd courting Grace.)

Despite Ellen's "Web of Selectively Not Shared Information" http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1702, it seems probable that any one of the Maine Ate might know anything another one knows.  Similarly Edward Verres, Mrs Kitsune, Sensei Greg, and Adrian Raven are also in positions where they may, or may not, be aware of any specific fact known to the kids.

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

Of course parents aren't always sensible when it comes to their kids, even when the well being of said children is at stake and especially when it involves things they'd rather not think about their kids doing. I'm the sort of parent who would rather empower their child with knowledge than pretend that if the kid doesn't know about something they won't try it. I also wonder if part of the whole monster hunting bloodline includes some level of compulsion to hunt monsters, rather than merely an affinity for a powerset that makes them adept at it.

I find myself wondering whether the martial arts lessons were originally the idea of Nanase or her mom, if the latter it was undoubtedly to ensure her daughter had at least some knowledge of how to defend herself in the (very probable) event it become necessary.

2 minutes ago, Lady Pentrose said:

I find myself wondering whether the martial arts lessons were originally the idea of Nanase or her mom, if the latter it was undoubtedly to ensure her daughter had at least some knowledge of how to defend herself in the (very probable) event it become necessary.

With such a wild name as "Anime Style Martial Arts" Mrs Kitsune may have been inclined to dismiss Greg's Dojo, just like Noah.  But this may have made it MORE attractive.  If Nanase's mother found the Phys-Ed and Sports programs at Moperville Schools to be inadequate or unacceptable she might have looked for an outside exercise or sport for her daughter.  A crazy title and a few flashy moves might be perceived as an equivalent to putting marshmallows in cereal, a way to get kids to swallow something that is good for them.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Despite Ellen's "Web of Selectively Not Shared Information" http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1702, it seems probable that any one of the Maine Ate might know anything another one knows.  Similarly Edward Verres, Mrs Kitsune, Sensei Greg, and Adrian Raven are also in positions where they may, or may not, be aware of any specific fact known to the kids.

I assume that all of them know at least the generalities of what happened to any of them unless:

• It's very old, from before they were at all aware of each other's magic; or
  • It's very new, they haven't had time to share it; or
  • There's some agreement or expressed desire to not share it.

So Ellen and Nanase know things about Noriko that the others (particularly Tedd, Elliot, and Grace) don't know. And I doubt that Sarah has told any of them, except maybe Susan, about her power - even if there has been sufficient time, which isn't clear. And of course most of the group know nothing about the current contact with griffins except maybe what has been on the local news, yet, but they presumably will be told about them soon.

1 hour ago, Lady Pentrose said:

I also wonder if part of the whole monster hunting bloodline includes some level of compulsion to hunt monsters, rather than merely an affinity for a powerset that makes them adept at it.

I wouldn't say it's a compulsion, beyond a sense of duty ("these horrible things exist, most people can't fight them, I can, therefore I must" or alternatively "this is the tradition of my ancestors, I must uphold and continue it").

Combine that with Primary Protagonist Syndrome, or alternatively the monsters' ability to detect who might become a threat, and you get a line of monster-hunters.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

No we don't. We only know that she knows more than we know she knows, which is already way more than Nanase know she knows.

... that makes sense. I mean, I still think Mrs. Kitsune don't like her daughter hunting monsters, but yes, it's entirely possible she realized she can't do anything against that ... she DID sent her to the school Raven teaches in, after all ...

I guess I'll rephrase it then. We know that Mama Kitsune knows that Nanase has magic and has been using it to defend others. She may not know the details of what happened in France, nor the details of what happened New Years Eve. But considering she knows about Nanase's and Ellen's "Meddling Teenagers" adventures she probably expects them to be dealing with monsters and other magic users at some point. Heck the fact that she insists on Nanase calling Edward for help confirms that she expects it. As for Raven, Nanase mentioned that he was her mom's least favorite teacher, though I guess if her mom knew what Raven was (likely because of Edward and Noriko), then despite how she feels about him, she probably felt Nanase would benefit from him in some way.

Anyone else wonder if Edward, Noriko and Mama Kitsune were to Raven as the main eight are to Edward?

It was SUSAN who was sent there couple years earlier. Nanase actually known enough french to go there without parent intervention.

Ok yeah, re-read Susan's story and it does look like Nanase was able to go because of her skill in french, an exception was still made in her case.

(About the "aware of her friends being magic-users" ... well, even if not directly told, she likely could realize what Greg's training is doing. So we can assume she knows about Elliot, Ellen and Justin being magic-users or on the way to becoming them, and she likely knows about Susan. Not sure what she thinks about Tedd. Not sure if she knows Sarah and Grace at all - she may not even know about them being Nanase's friends - wait. She gave Nanase the task of helping Tedd courting Grace.)

Yeah she didn't know about Grace until Nanase mentioned the double date and here immediate reaction was "she's not just toying with him, is she?" of course Nanase didn't need to do anything to help Tedd since him and Grace live together and know pretty much everything about each other, at least everything that they know that can be explained. ;)

Actually, I guess the only thing Tedd has hidden from Grace, is how him and Elliot met, though at the time she asked, they had pretty much just met and he wouldn't know how she'd reacted to him saying that Elliot thought he was a girl getting picked on in school.

21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not. Or at least Edward doesn't think so highly about those teachers, as he didn't mentioned them AT ALL. Sure, it's possible that those teachers don't like to teach children, but that only shows they are not as competent.

Just because he didn't mention them doesn't mean they aren't competent. And I can't figure out what you mean by that second sentence at ALL. Some people just don't handle children / kids / teens very well. Or their teaching style doesn't work well for them (Try running a high school or Jr High class with the laxness and/or style of a college class and see how well it works for ya). Or they deal in dangerous subjects that you have trouble teaching to minors / people in high school or younger for legal reasons. That bolded part is really mind-boggling to me.

11 hours ago, ijuin said:

Assuming that Edward told Mama Kitsune who not-Tengu was, then we can assume that she is now aware that there are magic-users who are actively hunting her daughter.

I'm not completely certain that's an assumption we can make.

5 hours ago, Lady Pentrose said:

Could have been both, too. When I started Tang Su Do it was because of a joint desire from my dad and I to get into martial arts.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A crazy title and a few flashy moves might be perceived as an equivalent to putting marshmallows in cereal, a way to get kids to swallow something that is good for them.

I don't know of any cereal with marshmallows in it that is even slightly healthy, much less children's cereals. (But I still agree with your point).

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Anyone else wonder if Edward, Noriko and Mama Kitsune were to Raven as the main eight are to Edward?

It seems a safe assumption.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yeah she didn't know about Grace until Nanase mentioned the double date and here immediate reaction was "she's not just toying with him, is she?" of course Nanase didn't need to do anything to help Tedd since him and Grace live together and know pretty much everything about each other, at least everything that they know that can be explained. ;)

Sure, the relationship between Tedd and Grace is much more advanced than Mrs. Kitsune thought, but I wouldn't be so sure Tedd didn't needed help. Although I think that Ellen helped more.

1 hour ago, Matoyak said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Just because he didn't mention them doesn't mean they aren't competent. And I can't figure out what you mean by that second sentence at ALL. Some people just don't handle children / kids / teens very well. Or their teaching style doesn't work well for them (Try running a high school or Jr High class with the laxness and/or style of a college class and see how well it works for ya). Or they deal in dangerous subjects that you have trouble teaching to minors / people in high school or younger for legal reasons. That bolded part is really mind-boggling to me.

Grace from start, Ellen and Elliot after awakening, Nanase and Susan after return from France, Susan after awakening, everyone would benefit from some basic course about magic. Nothing dangerous, just some basic stuff, like how it's important to read spellbook and train regularly. Apparently, Edward decided that it would be enough if he explained it himself. Now, sure, he MAY be the best teacher DGB has, also his personal connection to them is definitely advantage, but unless he is giving more lessons off-panel, I think that he could at least mention that there is some option. I don't believe than magic users are SO different from each other they need to discover everything themselves.

And the second sentence is because I consider teaching children harder than teaching adults (or near-adults like in college). Greg was able to do that. Any teacher who isn't or who is not having the courage to is IMHO less competent teacher. (May still be good in his field - in fact, the colleges looks the way they do because people teaching there are more experts in their field than teachers. They must be, as they are giving lectures about advanced subjects, often including fresh discoveries.)

In some sense yes, but Edward works in DGB, which makes it different. And I think that Raven taught Edward, Noriko and Mrs. Kitsune more, although we are not certain about time frame here ...

And despite the problems, Adrian Raven still seems like he would want to do the same thing all over again with Noah and Grace.

Adrian Raven is prohibited from acting directly in many situations where magic could be useful.  But like his immortal mother, he may guide and empower others to do what he believes to be the right thing.

This is starting to remind me of the old Doom Patrol comics.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And the second sentence is because I consider teaching children harder than teaching adults (or near-adults like in college). Greg was able to do that. Any teacher who isn't or who is not having the courage to is IMHO less competent teacher.

...we'll have to agree to disagree, as I can't think of a more ludicrous statement to make on the subject. Teaching kids is a different kind of skill than teaching young adults. You can't handle it the same way, and you shouldn't try to force someone who's good at one to attempt to do the other without proper training and preparation time.

47 minutes ago, Matoyak said:

...we'll have to agree to disagree, as I can't think of a more ludicrous statement to make on the subject. Teaching kids is a different kind of skill than teaching young adults. You can't handle it the same way, and you shouldn't try to force someone who's good at one to attempt to do the other without proper training and preparation time.

We actually seem to agree on lot of things. I don't see anything I would disagree with in what you are saying, except obviously the "ludicrous" part. It's just that I consider teaching children harder than teaching adults, while you seem to think it's equally hard. Of course, it's hard to compare it objectively (unless you try something like number of suicides, or number of occupational diseases cases, but thats more about how it's dangerous, not how hard it is), so agree to disagree makes sense.

(Or ... well ... not agree to disagree DOESN'T make sense.)

Going back a bit, yes, it is possible that DGB only has teachers specializing at teaching adults because they decided they don't NEED to teach children. Based on Moperville that seems like bad decision, but maybe it's anomaly and people awakening before reaching adulthood are extremely rare ...

44 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Sure, the relationship between Tedd and Grace is much more advanced than Mrs. Kitsune thought, but I wouldn't be so sure Tedd didn't needed help. Although I think that Ellen helped more.

I'd say Ellen's help was with Tedd's social life rather than Tedd's love life. The whole double date thing was Grace's idea and considering Grace has a tendency of getting her friends together so they open up more, I would believe that she felt Ellen and Nanase should to spend some time hanging out with Tedd as well as getting Tedd to spend more time with her.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:
58 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'd say Ellen's help was with Tedd's social life rather than Tedd's love life. The whole double date thing was Grace's idea and considering Grace has a tendency of getting her friends together so they open up more, I would believe that she felt Ellen and Nanase should to spend some time hanging out with Tedd as well as getting Tedd to spend more time with her.

... "How quickly can I undo my girlfriend's bra" seems more like love life than social life, unless he plans to race with someone ... like with Ellen ... hmmm ... and maybe Elliot (with Ashley) ... actually, all six can compete, as all six can be girlfriend, only they need two rounds ... what I was talking about?

33 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

We actually seem to agree on lot of things. I don't see anything I would disagree with in what you are saying, except obviously the "ludicrous" part. It's just that I consider teaching children harder than teaching adults, while you seem to think it's equally hard.

The difference is that you seem to think that someone who isn't talented at teaching kids is (somehow, for reasons I don't comprehend) a worse teacher than someone who can. (ie: "less competent"), when they're completely different tasks with completely different and incompatible types of difficulty. I find that insulting to all involved.

12 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... "How quickly can I undo my girlfriend's bra" seems more like love life than social life, unless he plans to race with someone ... like with Ellen ... hmmm ... and maybe Elliot (with Ashley) ... actually, all six can compete, as all six can be girlfriend, only they need two rounds ... what I was talking about?

The bra comment might have been just as much about her thinking about Nanase, and judging by Nanase's reaction, I'm wondering if Ellen actually tried it at some point.

What I mean was the main point Ellen was getting as was that Tedd needed to apply his enthusiasm for science to include his friends more.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

No, they don't need two rounds. One is sufficient for competitive purposes.

However, for other purposes there are advantages to having multiple rounds.

21 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

No, they don't need two rounds. One is sufficient for competitive purposes.

However, for other purposes there are advantages to having multiple rounds.

I'm not sure how can Nanase and Ellen undo each other bra at same time. I imagine it would be harder (and slower) than taking turns.

23 hours ago, Matoyak said:

The difference is that you seem to think that someone who isn't talented at teaching kids is (somehow, for reasons I don't comprehend) a worse teacher than someone who can. (ie: "less competent"), when they're completely different tasks with completely different and incompatible types of difficulty.

Mostly based on personal experience, although not being teacher my opinion may not be that much qualified. I hope I'm still allowed to have one.

23 hours ago, Matoyak said:

I find that insulting to all involved.

... I see I shouldn't continue this conversation.