• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Friday January 5, 2018

Recommended Posts

Forget about Grace; she's at Salty Crackers, as is Justin. I suspect it's "about six" now, when Sirleck said to meet Ellen at Charlotte's college. However, Rhoda might be at the mall. Maybe she could downsize the bullet? She certainly could downsize some vampires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I suspect it's "about six" now, when Sirleck said to meet Ellen at Charlotte's college.

It MIGHT be the time for whatever light Sirleck and Magus saw, assuming they spend lot of time discussing it afterwards.

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

However, Rhoda might be at the mall. Maybe she could downsize the bullet? She certainly could downsize some vampires.

IF she could affect the bullet inside the gun, making it just little bigger would be much better idea :)

I don't think she's good enough to target the bullet in fly.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

First of all, I don't think it's a matter of conventional weapons always beating magic, so much as they're equally effective in the hands of a skilled or lucky user.

Most often, the one with element of surprise wins.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

As far as Susan goes, she's never been hunted before, so everything in her chest was just a precaution. She probably never saw the need to have a gun before. Also, a lot of people are uncomfortable about owning guns or having them around; Susan may not want a gun, or she may know that she'll get in a lot of trouble if her mother realizes she has one.

Also, is it really legal for someone who is not considered adult enough to drink alcohol to own gun? Seems you need to be 21 to carry one in Illinois.

Sure, it's unlikely anyone except her mother would notice she has one in her chest, and maybe not even her mother, but it still seems like something Susan wouldn't do.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Finally, why would Aberrations want to raze Moperville to the ground? This particular group are hired assassins, and their contract encouraged them to limit how many people they killed besides the target. And Moperville isn't exactly the only place where Hunters and other magic users live, so it's not like they could kill off all their enemies by blowing up Moperville.

Unless it would be part of plan to ATTRACT all vampire hunters into the area and effectively start war. Which the vampires would probably lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Finally, why would Aberrations want to raze Moperville to the ground? This particular group are hired assassins, and their contract encouraged them to limit how many people they killed besides the target. And Moperville isn't exactly the only place where Hunters and other magic users live, so it's not like they could kill off all their enemies by blowing up Moperville.

I don't know, aberrations in general seem really concerned about Nanase, Tedd, Diane and Susan; the griffons think Nanase is a princess based on sheer magical potential alone; Not-Tengu wanted to rip and tear to prevent a second Noriko; Voltaire seems to want to bring about Lord Tedd by any means necessary.

On that note, why hasn't Tedd created a magitek gun, perhaps to augment his gauntlet? Gauntlets are cool and all, but a line-of-sight auto-target multi-target instant Avada Kedavra or Petrificus Totalus seems more useful and flexible. Noriko's shown with lots of weapons, but they seem to be all old-fashioned, when you'd expect a legendary monster hunter to carry the magical equivalent of mini-nukes and chainsword machineguns for taking down necromantic zombie dinosaurs or elder dragons. Is it sentimentality over practicality, preferring to kill with style and poise? Are most monsters immune to bullets, requiring very specific holy swords forged with the nails of the True Cross dipped in holy oil blessed by the Pope to kill? At least have silver shotgun rounds for werewolves, or blessed garlic powder smoke bombs for vampires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, wanderingmagus said:

I don't know, aberrations in general seem really concerned about Nanase, Tedd, Diane and Susan

Which aberrations was concerned about Nanase and Tedd? Aberrations are only concerned about people with summoning talent like Diane and Susan.

44 minutes ago, wanderingmagus said:

On that note, why hasn't Tedd created a magitek gun, perhaps to augment his gauntlet? Gauntlets are cool and all, but a line-of-sight auto-target multi-target instant Avada Kedavra or Petrificus Totalus seems more useful and flexible.

He did. TF Gun.

He wasn't aware he actually need something like that, AND would consider it too Lord Tedd. Also, multi-target is not as effective as AoE.

Avada Kedavra stops looking so cool if you compare it with Dragon Slave.

47 minutes ago, wanderingmagus said:

Noriko's shown with lots of weapons, but they seem to be all old-fashioned, when you'd expect a legendary monster hunter to carry the magical equivalent of mini-nukes and chainsword machineguns for taking down necromantic zombie dinosaurs or elder dragons.

Noriko didn't shown with any weapon in comics unless you count agent Wolf description. As legendary monster hunter, I'm sure she has more firepower than she needs - otherwise she would be DEAD. She may even have so much firepower she can afford to keep style.

54 minutes ago, wanderingmagus said:

Are most monsters immune to bullets, requiring very specific holy swords forged with the nails of the True Cross dipped in holy oil blessed by the Pope to kill?

"Monster" is not really category in EGS. Aberrations, however, are vulnerable to summoned weapons. If the inability to summon firearms is more general than just Susan, swords and crossbows can be more effective than machine guns ... especially if those are repeater crossbow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It MIGHT be the time for whatever light Sirleck and Magus saw, assuming they spend lot of time discussing it afterwards.

 

 

Prediction: The light was the forced reset of Pandora, after she intervened to save Raven. Sirleck's dodged bullet is that she will now be incapable of coming after him for revenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 If this goes bad, this will be the darkest we had ever since the last Sister- oh. Oh. Hm. Adrian is pretty bad at explosions then.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If you need Holy weapons, just borrow Robin's utility belt.

You want a hand grenade with that?

16 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I don't know if it's different with another accent, but in my accent, noise and toys rhyme.

ABCB, I say. "Toys" runs the same ground as "tortoise", so that is it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stature said:
8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If you need Holy weapons, just borrow Robin's utility belt.

You want a hand grenade with that?

Oh god, what would Susan have done if there was a Rabbit Vampire?

 

Actually, I don't think Dan would even consider designing one considering us readers are referred to as Bunnies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Illjwamh said:

Gotta admit, I did NOT see that coming. Nice one, Dan.

A plot twist that's based on expectations and grounding in reality indeed.

15 hours ago, wanderingmagus said:

Wait, so if this is becoming THAT kind of comic, why stop at revolvers and hunting rifles? With the cast getting actively targeted by inhuman aberrations, and superior firepower being shown to beat magic any day, why doesn't Susan keep an arsenal of pistols, grenade launchers and full auto machine guns in her chest next to her swords, maybe loaded with extended clips of magical armor-piercing bullets? Heck, why don't aberrations just raze Mopersville to the ground with black market plastic explosives and thermite? Is there some sort of "MAD" agreement keeping the place from going full Dresden Files?

I'm pretty sure a teenager would have trouble getting grenade launchers.

Unless they're created from magic instead of summoned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Illjwamh said:

Prediction: The light was the forced reset of Pandora, after she intervened to save Raven. Sirleck's dodged bullet is that she will now be incapable of coming after him for revenge.

That light is definitely not forced reset, there was no light in Paris. It may, however, be the REASON for forced reset. Like, AoE anti-aberration spell she used to save Raven. And Sirleck literally dodged that by being out of range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If the inability to summon firearms is more general than just Susan, swords and crossbows can be more effective than machine guns ... especially if those are repeater crossbow.

Or a rubber-band machine gun

RBMG-standard-150x150.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: illegal to buy a gun:

Quote

“Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older,” the ATF’s official Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide states. But the agency's regulations only apply to federally licensed firearms dealers, not to non-professional private sellers.

“A high school senior in most states can go to a gun show, go online, or any other place that they might find a private seller and lawfully purchase a gun that they couldn’t otherwise at a gun dealer,” explained David Chipman, a former ATF special agent who now works with Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

“That is correct," confirmed George Semonick of the ATF. "Under federal law, it's not unlawful for an 18-year-old to posses a handgun," Semonick explained to Salon, though some states have their own age requirements for handgun possession.

https://www.salon.com/2013/02/05/18_year_olds_can_buy_handguns/

All she needs to do is go to a gun show. Her mother might support it if she says it's for "self-defense" against men, bringing up national assault statistics and such.

Re: guns being too Lord Tedd

Susan could explain it to him as basically a phaser. Set permanently to stun if he wants to.

Re: grenade launchers

Anarchist's cookbook, or have Tedd have a long and frank discussion about self-defense, aberrations, and the current state of magical affairs with his dad and the DGB in general. Heck, Sarah and Elliot could even build their own as part of a ripoff Mythbusters or Man At Arms thing, just call it a "potato launcher" instead and manufacture the actual grenades offscreen.

After all, the best defense is a good offense. If the gang wants to stop getting into life-threatening situations where their friends and family are in danger, maybe it's time to pull a Noriko and take the fight to the monsters themselves. They can't hurt you or your family if they're all dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anarchist's Cookbook

DO NOT TRUST IT. Some of the recipes and formulas are flat wrong, and it skimps on safety precautions.

Come to think of it, that seems totally appropriate for anarchists...

Heck, Sarah and Elliot...

Susan and Elliot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

 

Susan and Elliot?

My thoughts exactly, not Sarah.  Sarah might build things with Tedd, of course...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Or a rubber-band machine gun

RBMG-standard-150x150.jpg

Not sure what is this actually shooting but yes: purely mechanical therefore more likely to work as summoned weapon.

1 hour ago, wanderingmagus said:

https://www.salon.com/2013/02/05/18_year_olds_can_buy_handguns/

All she needs to do is go to a gun show. Her mother might support it if she says it's for "self-defense" against men, bringing up national assault statistics and such.

I'm starting to think some upgrade of regulations of firearms in US might be beneficial ... but in this case yes: her mother would definitely approve buying a gun to feel safer from men if the news in EGS universe are anything like the news in ours. OR if the cleanup of one of the incident will keep the factor that she was in danger.

(Come to think about it, Ellen was officially threatened by stalker from her past ; noone will raise eyebrow if she buys gun saying she has unofficial information that he may be released from jail or that he escaped. Except Edward of course, as he would be implied as source of that info.)

1 hour ago, wanderingmagus said:

Re: guns being too Lord Tedd

Susan could explain it to him as basically a phaser. Set permanently to stun if he wants to.

Regardless. He may be convinced to build one if he perceives the thread as serious enough, but he will still question if it doesn't make him too much like Lord Tedd and that puts the bar on how serious the thread needs to be.

1 hour ago, wanderingmagus said:

Re: grenade launchers

Anarchist's cookbook, or have Tedd have a long and frank discussion about self-defense, aberrations, and the current state of magical affairs with his dad and the DGB in general. Heck, Sarah and Elliot could even build their own as part of a ripoff Mythbusters or Man At Arms thing, just call it a "potato launcher" instead and manufacture the actual grenades offscreen.

After all, the best defense is a good offense. If the gang wants to stop getting into life-threatening situations where their friends and family are in danger, maybe it's time to pull a Noriko and take the fight to the monsters themselves. They can't hurt you or your family if they're all dead.

Currently, Tedd feels his dad is not on his side - and he may be right ; DGB is DEFINITELY not on his side with Arthur Arthur in head and Edward doesn't seem to realize it.

Sure, when Edward was the head, this would be best option, EXCEPT back then the threat was not so serious.

Finally, unlike Susan, I'm sure Tedd can develop magical weapons MORE dangerous than grenade launchers. (And, as I keep repeating, there are multiple realistic reasons while summoned firearm may not work ; sure, Dan can just say it works, but until then ...)

(Similarly, Noriko may have spells which makes carrying grenade launcher with her needless.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't read subsequent comments/replies yet, just popped in with an amusing thought:

Scarf could be aiming at Gullet.

Fewer aberrations to share the reward with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:

Haven't read subsequent comments/replies yet, just popped in with an amusing thought:

Scarf could be aiming at Gullet.

Fewer aberrations to share the reward with?

Extremely unlikely. Adrian is obviously more dangerous and he will have just one opportunity for complete surprise like this ; even if he WOULD plan to kill both, he would kill Adrian first and Gullet after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh.  We recently discontinued satellite radio at work in favor of a streaming service.  Like many stations of whatever source, this one tends to replay the same setlist multiple times during the day.

Given what's just happened in the comic, and some of the guesses about what comes next, I find it interesting that yesterday and today, of all days, Pandora keeps playing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

Haven't read subsequent comments/replies yet, just popped in with an amusing thought:

Scarf could be aiming at Gullet.

Fewer aberrations to share the reward with?

I don't think the reward is pooled. That just makes it more likely for the aberrations to turn on each other even with the bonus incentive to work together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Scotty said:

Oh god, what would Susan have done if there was a Rabbit Vampire?

A vamp is a vamp. No choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's to hoping Adrian's shield has a rebound feature and Scarf just shot himself. Or suddenly got a power-up from Pandora that lets him survive somehow (that's guide and empower, right?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 8:35 PM, hkmaly said:

IF she could affect the bullet inside the gun, making it just little bigger would be much better idea :)

Even better: Making the bullet bigger inside the barrel. Now that would make quite a boom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 8:35 PM, hkmaly said:

Also, is it really legal for someone who is not considered adult enough to drink alcohol to own gun? Seems you need to be 21 to carry one in Illinois.

Fortunately I grew up in Idaho, where there were rifle racks behind the soda fountains and you could buy ammunition in gas stations. Used to make pocket money picking up the empty Coors bottles along the highway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figure "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" is more specific in its prediction, that Pandora will be in between the gun and Adrian so that it hits her instead of Adrian.  Or maybe the bullet hangs suspended in mid-air in front of her, but that's not actually hitting her.

Do I predict that?  Nope, no guesses here, I can see a number of possibilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now