• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday September 19, 2018

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Just exactly how long do we have to wait before we see Diane kiss a girl? And will she be Lucy?

I don't think it'll be Lucy. Diane has by all appearances been 99.99% straight, with the .01% being having a thing for only Nanase. If it'll be any girl, it'll be Nanase and no one else.

Also, who didn't predict Lucy having a crush on Diane?

This bears more significance now. Stupid sexy martial arts class. :demonicduck: 

Also, that guy with the side eye on panel 4. Do not think I would not catch that, bud.

Also also, Nanase is already on panel 5? Dang, she is very fast. It's like Nanase eating lunch in no time flat.

2 hours ago, partner555 said:

Also, who didn't predict Lucy having a crush on Diane?

Before the start of the flashback, almost no one.

I remember trying to run a mile in school once... I wore myself out in a minute or so, then wound up walking the rest of the way exhausted the entire time (it was very unpleasant). I wish the teacher had taught us about pacing ourselves first...

32 minutes ago, Stature said:

Also also, Nanase is already on panel 5? Dang, she is very fast. It's like Nanase eating lunch in no time flat.

Everything on this page except the final panel takes place while they are running as part of an outdoor class (gym class, presumably) - as Dan says in the commentary, they are being timed on how fast they can run a mile. The talk about lunch is making plans for later.

But yes, Nanase is lapping the trio.

Who else wants Lucy to meet Rick, if only so she can clear up her OWN misconceptions about Diane? I don’t blame her for being scared of telling the truth to Diane given how she treated Justin. But I do want to point out the irony that the claim she lays on Diane, of “Not being as observant as she thinks” that the same can apply to her, she’s not as observant as she thinks either.

38 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Just exactly how long do we have to wait before we see Diane kiss a girl? And will she be Lucy?

Lucy's telling herself that it's too late and to just give up, but maybe she'll make one last ditch effort to finally tell Diane how she feels? I dunno if Diane will be able to return those feelings though, worst case scenario is it ends like Justin and Melissa, with them parting ways, or they actually talk about it and they remain friends like Elliot and Sarah.

Just now, animalia said:

But I do want to point out the irony that the claim she lays on Diane, of “Not being as observant as she thinks” that the same can apply to her, she’s not as observant as she thinks either.

Lucy's issue is that she got caught up on hoping that one day Diane would have the same feelings for her despite holding in her feelings for Diane which started when she denied repeating the "I wish you were a boy" comment. Diane had pretty much held onto the whole idea of finding the right guy that she could have a family with and while her methods of doing have certainly not had the result she was hoping for, that was her goal. You could say that Lucy using the dates to be close to Diane in the hopes that something more could develop might be selfish, but love is illogical and Lucy fell into the same trap with Diane that Justin did with Elliot, only it evolved into being more like George was to Justin, even Lucy becoming nicer to Rhoda later is a lot like how George changed his attitude towards Elliot after Justin said Elliot wasn't his boyfriend.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Lucy's telling herself that it's too late and to just give up, but maybe she'll make one last ditch effort to finally tell Diane how she feels? I dunno if Diane will be able to return those feelings though, worst case scenario is it ends like Justin and Melissa, with them parting ways, or they actually talk about it and they remain friends like Elliot and Sarah.

Lucy's issue is that she got caught up on hoping that one day Diane would have the same feelings for her despite holding in her feelings for Diane which started when she denied repeating the "I wish you were a boy" comment. Diane had pretty much held onto the whole idea of finding the right guy that she could have a family with and while her methods of doing have certainly not had the result she was hoping for, that was her goal. You could say that Lucy using the dates to be close to Diane in the hopes that something more could develop might be selfish, but love is illogical and Lucy fell into the same trap with Diane that Justin did with Elliot, only it evolved into being more like George was to Justin, even Lucy becoming nicer to Rhoda later is a lot like how George changed his attitude towards Elliot after Justin said Elliot wasn't his boyfriend.

That’s interesting. I didn’t think of it that way. Good point.

4 hours ago, Stature said:

Also, that guy with the side eye on panel 4. Do not think I would not catch that, bud.

But did you catch the change in expressions on the guy in panel 2 and panel 3?

If Justin being outed got to be the hot gossip at MSHS, how could Diane, Lucy, and Rhoda not be tagged as the Lesbian Three Stooges? And yet Diane becomes a cheerleader? Makes one wonder about the rest of the cheer squad...

Speaking of Stooge Science, it should be obvious to everyone that Diane is the Moe. Now, Lucy is actually the Shemp. I know, I know, Curly's the third stooge most people think of, but Shemp was actually in the act before Curly; Lucy was the first to connect with Diane. Shemp was the tallest, like Lucy. Shemp was also a tremendous boxing fan, and that sort of fits Lucy, doesn't it? Rhoda's the Larry, smart but not dominant or aggressive. Don't know how to fit in Charlotte yet.

Anyway, poor Lucy. Rhoda made her into a third wheel, Nanase moved her to fourth, Susan made her the spare, and maybe Elliot moved Lucy into the back of the garage. We haven't even seen Lucy react yet to Diane actually hanging out with Nanase, Ellen, Grace, and even Justin. We don't even know yet if Lucy is aware of Charlotte. Lucy doesn't know about Diane's encounters with not-Tengu, the griffins, and the spider vampire. Lucy doesn't know Rhoda has magic. Lucy's so far out of the Loop here she might be in Indiana or even in Iowa.

(BTW, Chigago joke; look up "The Loop")

7 hours ago, Stature said:

Not only she's that fast ... she's also not tired. It's like relaxing speed for her.

4 hours ago, animalia said:

Who else wants Lucy to meet Rick, if only so she can clear up her OWN misconceptions about Diane? I don’t blame her for being scared of telling the truth to Diane given how she treated Justin. But I do want to point out the irony that the claim she lays on Diane, of “Not being as observant as she thinks” that the same can apply to her, she’s not as observant as she thinks either.

To be fair, the same applies to almost EVERYONE.

If Justin being outed got to be the hot gossip at MSHS, how could Diane, Lucy, and Rhoda not be tagged as the Lesbian Three Stooges? And yet Diane becomes a cheerleader? Makes one wonder about the rest of the cheer squad...

You missed the fact that they were NOT outed yet.

Anyway, poor Lucy. Rhoda made her into a third wheel, Nanase moved her to fourth, Susan made her the spare, and maybe Elliot moved Lucy into the back of the garage. We haven't even seen Lucy react yet to Diane actually hanging out with Nanase, Ellen, Grace, and even Justin. We don't even know yet if Lucy is aware of Charlotte. Lucy doesn't know about Diane's encounters with not-Tengu, the griffins, and the spider vampire. Lucy doesn't know Rhoda has magic. Lucy's so far out of the Loop here she might be in Indiana or even in Iowa.

... yeah, no wonder she's getting grumpier and grumpier. She may not know the details but she's certainly aware Diane has other ways to spend free time than with her. And it will likely get worse, with Adrian Raven ... AND Diane has very good reason to NOT just try to bring her in. Lucy's best chance is getting magic mark somewhere ...

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I remember trying to run a mile in school once... I wore myself out in a minute or so, then wound up walking the rest of the way exhausted the entire time (it was very unpleasant). I wish the teacher had taught us about pacing ourselves first...

There is also the fact that some people are naturally suited to be distance runners, and some are a much better fit for short-distance sprints.

I read a story of three guys, college roommates and good friends. Two of them went out for a mile run every morning. A girlfriend asked why the third never went with them.

Laughter.

"You see that pole down at the end of the block? He'll get there faster than you would believe possible. Now you see the pole down at the end of the NEXT block? You'll get there before he will."

"Also, he'll never get there."

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

There is also the fact that some people are naturally suited to be distance runners, and some are a much better fit for short-distance sprints.

Yes. And if you are the short-distance sprint one, you need to learn pacing. Specifically, you need to learn to do the sprint at the END of the mile, not at the start of it.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She may not know the details but she's certainly aware Diane has other ways to spend free time than with her. And it will likely get worse, with Adrian Raven ... AND Diane has very good reason to NOT just try to bring her in. Lucy's best chance is getting magic mark somewhere ...

Well, Lucy could actually be honest about her feelings to Diane. But of course, those things don't happen in EGS unless there's something like an attack by a Spider Vampire, or getting invited to Grace's next birthday party.. Or maybe a mysterious floating woman telling Lucy to do it.

Adrian obviously has to come into this story in a big way, but when is another question. It's not established whether either Diane or Lucy is taking one of Adrian's classes this semester.

Pandora could advise Lucy at any time from her return, but I don't see her up to marking Lucy or anyone else for awhile.Jerry reset during the last spring break, and he didn't show up as Zeus until New Year's. Pandora's "refresh"  should make her recovery faster, but it's only been three days, and the last comic in Sister 3 took place at "an unknown time."

22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also sadly, people tend to be harder on gay males than they are on gay females, Justin even explains that rumors of Ellen being a lesbian and Grace being naive about it, were people wanting them to be real life versions of movie characters. You don't really see that happening with gay guys.

17 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Adrian obviously has to come into this story in a big way, but when is another question. It's not established whether either Diane or Lucy is taking one of Adrian's classes this semester.

I think it will be in next two weeks ... of comic time. Could easily be two storylines away.

But from Lucy's point of view, it will be soon and it will even more lower her time with Diane.

17 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Pandora could advise Lucy at any time from her return, but I don't see her up to marking Lucy or anyone else for awhile.Jerry reset during the last spring break, and he didn't show up as Zeus until New Year's. Pandora's "refresh"  should make her recovery faster, but it's only been three days, and the last comic in Sister 3 took place at "an unknown time."

And Zeus still didn't marked anyone. Sure, he didn't have motivation, but I find likely he wouldn't be able to, and fresh Pandora neither.

However, we have Helena and Demetrius around who MIGHT already have enough power ... and Voltaire, although WHY would he do it ... and then there's Hanma, who is supposed to appear in story ...

3 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 9/20/2018 at 0:38 AM, hkmaly said:

Also sadly, people tend to be harder on gay males than they are on gay females, Justin even explains that rumors of Ellen being a lesbian and Grace being naive about it, were people wanting them to be real life versions of movie characters. You don't really see that happening with gay guys.

Sadly? I don't think lesbians complain about that. :)

But yes, it does seem to work that way ...

Not explicitly,, which is strange when you think of it, especially after Nanase has been out of the closet for so long now.  

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Not explicitly,, which is strange when you think of it, especially after Nanase has been out of the closet for so long now. 

Scratching my head as to why I was quoted as saying that when it was khmaly that said it.

Anyway, I imagine the way at least Diane and Lucy behaved around guys would have prevented rumors of them being lesbians, you don't get called gay when you're actively trying to pick up members of the opposite sex, Rhoda on the other hand was always shy so there might have been some rumors about why she was always tagging along,

23 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Rhoda on the other hand was always shy so there might have been some rumors about why she was always tagging along,

Rhoda, on the other hand, wasn't an amazon in a Xena skirt.

On Nanase lapping Diane and Rhoda, most school running tracks in the USA are a standard quarter-mile in circumference (making it easy to fit a soccer/American Football field on the inside). Now, if Nanase were running much faster than a six-minute mile, then the coach would be making noise about getting her on the track team given that she's not even winded, so let's go with that. At six-minute mile speed, it would take her ninety seconds to run a single lap. The length of the conversation between Diane and Rhoda might take about that long if they are speaking at a leisurely rate.

As for my own experience running on a track, I get asthma attacks when running, but on a bicycle I can go crazy-fast (as in overtaking 25 mph automobile traffic) for an hour without stopping.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Scratching my head as to why I was quoted as saying that when it was khmaly that said it.

Anyway, I imagine the way at least Diane and Lucy behaved around guys would have prevented rumors of them being lesbians, you don't get called gay when you're actively trying to pick up members of the opposite sex, Rhoda on the other hand was always shy so there might have been some rumors about why she was always tagging along,

Not only actively trying, but according to rumors, you have lot of sex with them.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Rhoda, on the other hand, wasn't an amazon in a Xena skirt.

I think it was even enough to win over Xena's reputation ... especially considering Xena herself was never clear lesbian, even had a son.

3 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Now, if Nanase were running much faster than a six-minute mile, then the coach would be making noise about getting her on the track team given that she's not even winded, so let's go with that.

Oh. That explains why she doesn't run faster.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think it was even enough to win over Xena's reputation ... especially considering Xena herself was never clear lesbian, even had a son.

Lucy Lawless had a son (and she was very proud of breastfeeding him). Xena, on the other hand...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Oh. That explains why she doesn't run faster.

Yeah, if Nanase was showing off that she was clearly the best runner in the school, or even in the top three, then the coach would be pushing for her to join the team.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Lucy Lawless had a son (and she was very proud of breastfeeding him). Xena, on the other hand...

His name was Solan. She gave him to a group of centaurs after the death of his father, Borias, who was killed in combat against a warrior in Xena's employ.