• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

Story: Wednesday, June 22, 2016

As much as Tedd has been hurt (however unintentionally) by his father, I suspect that Sarah might convince Tedd to talk with Edward anyway.

Sarah:  We need to tell your dad about what's happening.
Tedd:  I already told you that's not...
Sarah:  Tedd, that creepy magic girl from the TV gave me a Magic Mark and then warned me to NOT tell your father.  She's playing games with me and I don't like it.  Even with your concerns about your situation and our uncertainty about Justin's encounter, I would still be inclined to ask your dad about my own magic mark.  Throw in someone spooky telling me to not do that and I certainly WILL do it!

I really hope Dan isn't going to skip Sunday. All those poor cats in all those bags need to be set free! All the beans must be spilled!

Also, I really want to see Elliot wake up to a swarm of reporters outside his house.

Also also, how nice to know that this Q&A is still going because Dan doesn't want the next storyline to be as long as The Card Games from Hell and The Best Date Ever.

26 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

Also also, how nice to know that this Q&A is still going because Dan doesn't want the next storyline to be as long as The Card Games from Hell and The Best Date Ever.

I think it will be as long, as a whole that is. Like I said before, Sister 2 went for 21 months, Squirrel Prophet went for 11 months (12 if you include Grace's dream), and So A Date went for 14 months. Sister 2 was probably more manageable though because it spanned several days in comic time and was broken up into more chunks, while the more recent arcs focused on the one day for each. Since the next arc is going to span several days in comic, I can see it being more like Sister 2, being broken up into chapters making it clear that time is passing, and still take at least a year to complete.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
11 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

actually I can see Tedd wanting to avoid his dad for a bit, given his realizations about himself also made him realize how Edward has been (Inadvertently?) treating him.

I agree so very much with that. I don't think Edward understands how much he has hurt his son, but Tedd no longer feels safe around his father and that is a terrible situation for both of them.

I just had a thought of why Edward might be discouraging of Tedd spending time as a girl. Tedd has been noted as having a very strong family resemblance with Nanase, especially when he has short hair. And Nanase has been noted to be the spitting image of Noriko. Therefor, Tedd looks like a (purple-haired and typically male) Noriko. So whenever Tedd turns into a girl without additional changes, he would look even more like his mom, a potential painful reminder to Edward of his love that left him.

Now, even if this thought is true, I doubt it would be the only reason for Edward to discourage Tedd turning himself female and I'm not even sure if Edward would be consciously aware of that driving his actions. I could also just be going off on a wild tangent, but such is the case with random thoughts.

23 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

I just had a thought of why Edward might be discouraging of Tedd spending time as a girl. Tedd has been noted as having a very strong family resemblance with Nanase, especially when he has short hair. And Nanase has been noted to be the spitting image of Noriko. Therefor, Tedd looks like a (purple-haired and typically male) Noriko. So whenever Tedd turns into a girl without additional changes, he would look even more like his mom, a potential painful reminder to Edward of his love that left him.

Now, even if this thought is true, I doubt it would be the only reason for Edward to discourage Tedd turning himself female and I'm not even sure if Edward would be consciously aware of that driving his actions. I could also just be going off on a wild tangent, but such is the case with random thoughts.

I am afraid that this is a case where the motivations behind the actions matter far less than the results. Tedd experiences hostility and transphobia from an otherwise trusted parent -- and on top of that, experiences this sense of betrayal in connection with the TFG gun, which was the catalyst for the beginning of a long journey towards self-confidence and away from introversion. In other words, Tedd can no longer feel safe around Edward. This will have long term effects on their relationship and they will not be good.

Edward was forced into the job of professional diplomat.  He and Tedd need a diplomat to take them from a point of confusion and mistrust to understanding.  Hopefully Edward realizes that just like a lawyer, a diplomat probably shouldn't negotiate on his own behalf.  Adrian Raven is probably the best candidate for the job.

9 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Edward was forced into the job of professional diplomat.  He and Tedd need a diplomat to take them from a point of confusion and mistrust to understanding.  Hopefully Edward realizes that just like a lawyer, a diplomat probably shouldn't negotiate on his own behalf.  Adrian Raven is probably the best candidate for the job.

Hoo boy.

I think it will take a LOT of desperation before Mr. Verres will look up Mr. Raven and ask him for help with his son.

12 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
17 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

actually I can see Tedd wanting to avoid his dad for a bit, given his realizations about himself also made him realize how Edward has been (Inadvertently?) treating him.

I agree so very much with that. I don't think Edward understands how much he has hurt his son, but Tedd no longer feels safe around his father and that is a terrible situation for both of them.

Not speaking about how terrible that can be for the WORLD. Case in point, Lord Tedd.

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

As if Nanase, Elliot and Diane weren't already disturbed by the idea of Edward keeping tabs on everyone's background.

They are not nearly disturbed enough.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Sarah:  We need to tell your dad about what's happening.
Tedd:  I already told you that's not...
Sarah:  Tedd, that creepy magic girl from the TV gave me a Magic Mark and then warned me to NOT tell your father.  She's playing games with me and I don't like it.  Even with your concerns about your situation and our uncertainty about Justin's encounter, I would still be inclined to ask your dad about my own magic mark.  Throw in someone spooky telling me to not do that and I certainly WILL do it!

That would be smart reaction, yes ... but I don't think Sarah is THAT much inclined. If for nothing else then for meta purposes - it will be more dramatic if they DON'T tell everything to Edward.

9 hours ago, SeriousJupiter said:

First, I'm not sure more time spent on planing will help. Second, I don't think anything could've been removed from those storylines without it missing ... and I'm little afraid what will we miss if Dan overdoes the editing.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:
1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Hoo boy.

I think it will take a LOT of desperation before Mr. Verres will look up Mr. Raven and ask him for help with his son.

... why do I feel this doesn't mean it won't happen?

I still think Grace will be key to getting Tedd and Edward talking about it. She doesn't like the idea of hiding things from friends or family, knowing Tedd wants to keep his mark from his dad will bug her. Even if she doesn't know exactly why, she'll sense there's a rift forming between them and want to fix it. We've see her do it with Ellen and Sarah (there might not have been an actual rift there but she felt there was something wrong with them not hanging out with each other) and we've seen her reaction to the idea of relationships not lasting with Elliot and Sarah's breakup. She doesn't like negative mojo and the issue between Tedd and Edward would be the worst kind.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

... why do I feel this doesn't mean it won't happen?

It might. But it would take a lot, still.

40 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I still think Grace will be key to getting Tedd and Edward talking about it. She doesn't like the idea of hiding things from friends or family, knowing Tedd wants to keep his mark from his dad will bug her. Even if she doesn't know exactly why, she'll sense there's a rift forming between them and want to fix it. We've see her do it with Ellen and Sarah (there might not have been an actual rift there but she felt there was something wrong with them not hanging out with each other) and we've seen her reaction to the idea of relationships not lasting with Elliot and Sarah's breakup. She doesn't like negative mojo and the issue between Tedd and Edward would be the worst kind.

You probably have a point. Grace is the key in this -- she loves Tedd and wouldn't see him hurt for any reason at all, and a split between Tedd and Mr. Verres would hurt Tedd. Then, of course, there is the fact that she likes and respects Mr. Verres, too...

6 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

You probably have a point. Grace is the key in this -- she loves Tedd and wouldn't see him hurt for any reason at all, and a split between Tedd and Mr. Verres would hurt Tedd. Then, of course, there is the fact that she likes and respects Mr. Verres, too...

Yeah, for all he's done for her, taking her into his home and letting her stay after the threat of Damien was over. If things go bad between Tedd and Edward...as much as Grace loves Tedd, I'm not sure she'd be able to handle living in that kind of environment, and even running away with Tedd likely wouldn't sit well with her.

Hmm, this is the kind of thing Jerry warned Grace about.... and I don't want to see Grace snapping because it's already canon that there is no undo button.

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I'm pretty sure Edward was being honest with Tedd when he worried that spending a lot of time transformed into a girl could be bad for him.  Edward is acting out of love and ignorance.  In truth, having the TFG probably saved Tedd from years of gender dysphoria, and improved his mental health overall.  Edward, however, doesn't know this, doesn't realize how important swapping genders is for Tedd.  He's genuinely concerned for his son's well-being.  That probably both helps and hurt; Tedd knows his dad doesn't mean to hurt him, but likely feels, on an emotional level, like his dad *should* know, should be able to see, and the fact that he doesn't is proof of the gulf between them.

I'm hoping that Grace will find a way to introduce Edward to the concept of gender fluidity, and that once Edward understands what his son has been going through and how hurtful his past actions have been, that he'll force himself to be uncharacteristically open and forthcoming about it, and apologize to Tedd for all the pain and loneliness.  Perhaps more likely that we'll get an awkward, stammered attempt which both of them will be relieved to cut short with an equally awkward hug....

47 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I'm pretty sure Edward was being honest with Tedd when he worried that spending a lot of time transformed into a girl could be bad for him.  Edward is acting out of love and ignorance.  In truth, having the TFG probably saved Tedd from years of gender dysphoria, and improved his mental health overall.  Edward, however, doesn't know this, doesn't realize how important swapping genders is for Tedd.  He's genuinely concerned for his son's well-being.  That probably both helps and hurt; Tedd knows his dad doesn't mean to hurt him, but likely feels, on an emotional level, like his dad *should* know, should be able to see, and the fact that he doesn't is proof of the gulf between them.

I'm hoping that Grace will find a way to introduce Edward to the concept of gender fluidity, and that once Edward understands what his son has been going through and how hurtful his past actions have been, that he'll force himself to be uncharacteristically open and forthcoming about it, and apologize to Tedd for all the pain and loneliness.  Perhaps more likely that we'll get an awkward, stammered attempt which both of them will be relieved to cut short with an equally awkward hug....

I'm pretty certain at one point early on, Edward did ask why Tedd was using the TFG to turn himself into a girl, at which point Tedd responded with "it's like a vacation". Of course back then Tedd didn't know anything about gender fluidity and he didn't even know the true definition of transgender, he just assumed it meant transformed into the opposite gender, but if Tedd insisted on using a fabricated reason like "it's like a vacation" and not "because I look girly and people make fun of me because of it so sometime I think maybe I'd feel better if I was" then of course Edward would come to think that Tedd was using it for novelty purposes and not know that there's a deeper reason for it.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

That makes a whole lot of sense, and hopefully will be the case down the road.  However given comic time we aren't likely to see it for a couple of years real time.

On 6/22/2016 at 6:29 PM, partner555 said:

Ah, webcomic time. People don't always realise real life passage of time is not equivalent to story passage of time.

I've always been of the opinion that real life passage of time should be factored in when writing something released in the vein of webcomics. Not to say that the two should be lockstep with each other, or that they should be related to each other with a function or equation or something, but that when plotting out the story it should be taken into account how long it's likely going to take to tell. Don't pack 10 different storylines into one comic day, for instance (Something I've seen done before). You have direct control over the story and can change it around how you need. If a bomb is going to blow up, you can control how long they have to know about it before the timer itself shows up, and you can do a lot of your stories then. Once the timer shows up, it can't be 10 minutes for 3 months, that really detracts from the urgency of the story, which is the effect one is going for with a timer like that. The medium should be a part of the story being told, and the release times of subsequent chunks of the story will affect the pacing of its consumption, which has an effect on the pacing of the story itself in the minds of the readers.

17 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Also, the encounter with not-Tengu is hard evidence that enemies are hunting for Noriko and her family. That means that Tedd going around looking even more like his mother than ordinary would be making himself a bigger target.

7 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

There does seem to be a misconception among the uninformed that physically transforming into the opposite sex is liable to CAUSE dysphoria with respect to the assigned-at-birth gender. It's something along similar lines to the idea that exposing an otherwise-heterosexual person to too much homosexuality will make them "turn gay". Anybody who has more than superficial knowledge of the subject knows that it is a load of garbage, but the unknowledgable believe it anyway.

16 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
16 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Hoo boy.

uh... nooo. this situation is delicate enough, and raven has all the subtlety of a moose when mention of tedd comes up. pretty sure that's a train-wreck waiting to happen...

11 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

It may well be Grace who decides on her own to approach Adrian Raven and propose he mediate the conflict in the Verres home.

Actually, I wouldn't at all be surprised if, after Grace got Tedd and Edward talking to each other, she gets overzealous and tries to get Edward and Adrian back on good terms.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Actually, I wouldn't at all be surprised if, after Grace got Tedd and Edward talking to each other, she gets overzealous and tries to get Edward and Adrian back on good terms.

I doubt she would try without at least trying to find out the history there.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

6 minutes ago, partner555 said:

I doubt she would try without at least trying to find out the history there.

I don't know about that.  In fact, if Grace has any success with reconciliations she might go for the big one.

Adrian and Pandora

19 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I don't know about that.  In fact, if Grace has any success with reconciliations she might go for the big one.

Adrian and Pandora

But she doesn't even know about that one.

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

There does seem to be a misconception among the uninformed that physically transforming into the opposite sex is liable to CAUSE dysphoria with respect to the assigned-at-birth gender. It's something along similar lines to the idea that exposing an otherwise-heterosexual person to too much homosexuality will make them "turn gay". Anybody who has more than superficial knowledge of the subject knows that it is a load of garbage, but the unknowledgable believe it anyway.

For consensual changes (and there's no doubt that, with very rare exceptions, Tedd's changes are consensual) it doesn't even make sense: if the change CAUSED dysphoria, the person would STOP.

Exposure to homosexuality might cause a person who had never realized they were homosexual (because they'd never been aware of the possibility) to realize it, and thus "change" from "straight but there's something wrong" to "gay". Or if the person was aware that they were gay/bi but thought of it as "abnormal" and thus hiding it, and then got enough exposure to start thinking of it as normal... In other words, it might cause someone who had previously incorrectly labelled themselves to change labels. But no, it would never turn a genuinely straight person gay.

Actually, I meant it the other way around--i.e. that Tedd (for example) transforming into a girl would CAUSE him to want to be a girl more--in other words, that transformation would cause the person to identify with the transformed state rather than the native state. In blunter terms, "turning bodily into a girl would gradually make him become a girl inside too". I'm trying to say that the misconception that lots of people seem to share is the idea that the mind follows the body or some such.