• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday October 11, 2017

Recommended Posts

It would be inappropriate for a teacher of Raven's calibre to call his students by their first names in public. Why did he not use her last name? What *is* Diane's last name, for that matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I can't remember what Raven knows at this point. I guess I'm going to have to do some rereading before Friday.

He knows Grace is a Seyunolu because Grace told him, but he also knew about Damien, he doesn't know how things went down in The Nest, just that Damien was dead. Ellen is a dewitchery diamond duplicate because of his encounter with Abraham.  And that Nanase is likely as powerful as her mom and aunt whom he's also taught. He sensed Justin's potential and likely got it confirmed if he paid close attention to the videos after the first fire golem fight, and he has heard about Elliot through Noah. He's never met Sarah, and I don't believe he's met Susan before now.

Susan probably think Adrian looks familiar because there's a strong family resemblance, she might think he looks like her dad but she might be more inclined to think grandfather. It's not likely she's ever met her dad's father so I dunno how Susan could react, Susan does know about Adrian and that he tried to protect Ellen from Abraham and also Jerry mentioned that Adrian would be someone to trust if Susan and the others were in trouble. So I would imagine that after being introduced, Susan might mention that.

I don't think this is any hint that Adrian is Susan's dad, even though Susan seems to have repressed the memories of what he looked like, and the fact that the illusion Adrian used on Grace resembled Susan, I still don't expect it to be Adrian. Yes Adrian has to be related, but as I've said, more likely he's her grandfather and doesn't even know he has a son. It doesn't make sense to me that Adrian would have spend several years with Susan and her mom if he firmly believed he couldn't have kids and according to Susan her dad was with her mom for a little while before she was born and I would have figured that Susan's mom might have revealed that Mr Pompoms wasn't her real dad at some point. I dunno, it seems too convoluted to try to piece together how Adrian could be her dad, but grandad would make more sense.

 

Something about Adrian's appearance in this comic though, anyone else think he looks younger in his elder disguise compared to other instances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I can't remember what Raven knows at this point. I guess I'm going to have to do some rereading before Friday.

He still thinks his mom is responsible for the fire-dude and dragon incidents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

What *is* Diane's last name, for that matter?

We don't know, but I suspect we are about to find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a coinky-dinky, Adrian Raven--literally the primary target for tonight of who knows how many vampires--just happens to be at the mall when Susan the vampire killer and Diane the potential vampire killer walk in together. And Susan, who as far as we know has never seen Adrian Raven before, senses something familiar about him.

As to why Mr. Raven calls one of his students by her first name, it could be any of:

  • He's surprised to see one of his students here.
  • He's surprised to see Diane here.
  • He's surprised to see Diane here with Susan.
  • He's not at work and not in his me-teacher-you-student mode.
  • Dan still hasn't gotten around to giving Diane a last name. Also Rhoda, Lucy, Liz, Noah, Greg, Luke, Sam, William and Gillian...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, partner555 said:

You can feel the tension on this side of the fourth wall.

Despite the tension, I now have every confidence that Mr. Raven will survive. I wasn't so sure last time. Though what this will do to Susan and Diane, I'm not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

What a coinky-dinky, Adrian Raven--literally the primary target for tonight of who knows how many vampires--just happens to be at the mall when Susan the vampire killer and Diane the potential vampire killer walk in together. And Susan, who as far as we know has never seen Adrian Raven before, senses something familiar about him.

I think that has been one of the first things on just about everyone's minds when we first got our implications that, yes, half-immortals can have children.  

Though when the cat does come out of the bag, I see three things:

Shock from Adrian at the realization that he does have children, one of them to whom he has shown dislike for putting on "valley girl bimbo" routines.

Horror on the part of Diana, when she realizes that one of the oldest teachers in her school, whom she is probably terrified of, is her real dad.

Susan... - sighs - I believe the term "world falling apart around her" would qualify, given the impact of learning that the Dad she hated all these years for cheating on her Mom may not be her real father, and the...implication of such.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's something I'd like to discuss: Why does Mr. Raven wear that red tailcoat? It hasn't been in fashion for a century and a half. It's a poor choice for someone concealing who and what and especially how old he really is.

Maybe it's armored. To me the way he's holding his right arm suggests he's using a cane. Remember the last time he used a cane?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Here's something I'd like to discuss: Why does Mr. Raven wear that red tailcoat? It hasn't been in fashion for a century and a half. It's a poor choice for someone concealing who and what and especially how old he really is.

Maybe it's armored. To me the way he's holding his right arm suggests he's using a cane. Remember the last time he used a cane?

It probably does hold some value, either sentimental or magical, I saw a comment that, while we don't actually see it in the last panel, it's possible he might have that cane with him as well. At least though, he's wearing a tie instead of that poofy....whatever it was he was wearing in back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, neither Susan nor Diane are talking ... both have something to think about ...

... and Diane, I'm sure today you will see the lion mode as well. Or tiger, whatever. Wait. Sure Diane has no reason to research big cats, but what's Susan's reason?

11 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

It would be inappropriate for a teacher of Raven's calibre to call his students by their first names in public. Why did he not use her last name? What *is* Diane's last name, for that matter?

I suspect Adrian Raven also forgot. "Miss Diane"? Doesn't sound familiar.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

As to why Mr. Raven calls one of his students by her first name, it could be any of:

  • He's surprised to see one of his students here.
  • He's surprised to see Diane here.
  • He's surprised to see Diane here with Susan.
  • He's not at work and not in his me-teacher-you-student mode.
  • Dan still hasn't gotten around to giving Diane a last name. Also Rhoda, Lucy, Liz, Noah, Greg, Luke, Sam, William and Gillian...

... or this. Especially the last possibility.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't think this is any hint that Adrian is Susan's dad, even though Susan seems to have repressed the memories of what he looked like, and the fact that the illusion Adrian used on Grace resembled Susan, I still don't expect it to be Adrian. Yes Adrian has to be related, but as I've said, more likely he's her grandfather and doesn't even know he has a son. It doesn't make sense to me that Adrian would have spend several years with Susan and her mom if he firmly believed he couldn't have kids and according to Susan her dad was with her mom for a little while before she was born and I would have figured that Susan's mom might have revealed that Mr Pompoms wasn't her real dad at some point. I dunno, it seems too convoluted to try to piece together how Adrian could be her dad, but grandad would make more sense.

3 hours ago, PrimordialSoul253 said:

Shock from Adrian at the realization that he does have children, one of them to whom he has shown dislike for putting on "valley girl bimbo" routines.

I'm on Scotty side here. Susan and Diane are not Adrian's children. Their dad who saw no problem with cheating? Maybe it was because he was raised by single mom without positive father figure, as his father didn't believed he's his child ...

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Here's something I'd like to discuss: Why does Mr. Raven wear that red tailcoat? It hasn't been in fashion for a century and a half. It's a poor choice for someone concealing who and what and especially how old he really is.

It's possible that Adrian Raven resigned on trying to catch up with fashion three centuries ago and just wears what he likes no matter how out of fashion it is and how suspicious it makes him.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

Susan probably think Adrian looks familiar because there's a strong family resemblance, she might think he looks like her dad but she might be more inclined to think grandfather. It's not likely she's ever met her dad's father so I dunno how Susan could react, Susan does know about Adrian and that he tried to protect Ellen from Abraham and also Jerry mentioned that Adrian would be someone to trust if Susan and the others were in trouble. So I would imagine that after being introduced, Susan might mention that.

She might met her dad's father but it's plausibly so long ago she doesn't remember. The apparent age Raven is in however would point more to grandfather. And yes, she would know him by name, so if Raven introduces himself OR Diane blurts "Mr. Raven" ...

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

What a coinky-dinky, Adrian Raven--literally the primary target for tonight of who knows how many vampires--just happens to be at the mall when Susan the vampire killer and Diane the potential vampire killer walk in together.

Interesting coincidence indeed, but he does seem surprised or at least plays it convincingly ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Wait. Sure Diane has no reason to research big cats, but what's Susan's reason?

Jeremy?

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

What a coinky-dinky, Adrian Raven--literally the primary target for tonight of who knows how many vampires--just happens to be at the mall when Susan the vampire killer and Diane the potential vampire killer walk in together.

Interesting coincidence indeed, but he does seem surprised or at least plays it convincingly ...

Maybe he got lured to the mall by someone, to make sure he was out in the open for the attack? Or maybe he just had a craving for the famous food court, Chicken Teriyaki.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Interesting coincidence indeed, but he does seem surprised or at least plays it convincingly ...

I bet on genuine surprise. From his performance in front of Grace, Ellen, and the principal of Moperville South, playing convincingly doesn't seem to be a big part of Adrian Raven's skill set.

Perhaps someone asked him to come here? Someone who knew that Diane and Susan were coming here tonight? Or maybe someone who wants Adrian's murder to happen in a very public place. Maybe someone who tried to arrange another murder here six days ago?

Perhaps an anonymous phone call or a note with no signature summoned him, and Adrian decided he should, in the words of Sherlock Holmes, "take precautions". If Sherlock Holmes was real in the Moperverse, Adrian might have known him. Heck, Adrian could have been Sherlock Holmes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Scotty said:
28 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Wait. Sure Diane has no reason to research big cats, but what's Susan's reason?

Jeremy?

Doesn't look that big to me :)

18 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Maybe he got lured to the mall by someone, to make sure he was out in the open for the attack?

But why at same place as Susan and Diane?

... unless the clog is there.

13 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I bet on genuine surprise. From his performance in front of Grace, Ellen, and the principal of Moperville South, playing convincingly doesn't seem to be a big part of Adrian Raven's skill set.

True. And that wasn't even the strangest case.

14 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Perhaps an anonymous phone call or a note with no signature summoned him, and Adrian decided he should, in the words of Sherlock Holmes, "take precautions". If Sherlock Holmes was real in the Moperverse, Adrian might have known him. Heck, Adrian could have been Sherlock Holmes!

Adrian would not need cocaine.

But yes, maybe Voltaire liked the mall ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Doesn't look that big to me :)

No, but he is the only cat that's bonded with her....

Wait a moment, maybe wild theory? Adrian's cat Max is the same breed as Jeremy, if Jeremy had any contact with Adrian at all, maybe he's familiar enough with Adrian's scent and noticed that Susan has a similar scent. maybe that's why Jeremy took such a liking to Susan?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

But why at same place as Susan and Diane?

... unless the clog is there.

All three being there might be just a coincidence. All I know the attack is supposed to be in a public place so that it had the best chance of getting Helena and Demetrius' attention and the mall is pretty public.

Not sure if the clog is there, but we don't really have any idea where it could be, I would assume Andrea knew where it is though. Only possible hint would be the image of a lighthouse during Tedd's coversation with the Whale, maybe the image wasn't supposed to mean an actual lighthouse, but a tower like structure in which case the bell tower near Andrea's camp might be a possible location.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Doesn't look that big to me :)

No, but he is the only cat that's bonded with her....

Exactly. Therefore, the reason to research big cats must be elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Wait a moment, maybe wild theory? Adrian's cat Max is the same breed as Jeremy, if Jeremy had any contact with Adrian at all, maybe he's familiar enough with Adrian's scent and noticed that Susan has a similar scent. maybe that's why Jeremy took such a liking to Susan?

I think that would require little more that "any contact" with Adrian.

So far, we assumed Jeremy and Max are result of some experiment, possibly with Uryuom eggs, and Adrian and Edward obtained them as a "booty" after some action they were on together. What if they are instead result of Pandora transforming ordinary cat in hereditary manner and Jeremy is Adrian's gift to Edward? THAT might make Jeremy seek Adrian's descendants.

In any case, we totally need to see Jeremy's reaction to Diane. It's possible he liked Susan just because she doesn't like cats (or, well, anything touching her lap).

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Not sure if the clog is there, but we don't really have any idea where it could be, I would assume Andrea knew where it is though. Only possible hint would be the image of a lighthouse during Tedd's coversation with the Whale, maybe the image wasn't supposed to mean an actual lighthouse, but a tower like structure in which case the bell tower near Andrea's camp might be a possible location.

While possible, it was explained that Andrea chose the bell tower as base because it was something she could easily find again even with her sense of direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I see someone in real life wearing a piece of old-fashioned clothing, I don't automatically believe they're as old as the era it came from.  I tend to assume that it's just their personal style and sense of fashion.  Quirky clothes are fun!

As for big cats, Susan was a militant feminist for many years.  I have no doubt that those lazy male lions, who expect the females to do all the hunting, in exchange for protecting them from other male lions, would have come up at some point.  Most likely with a favorable comparison with the matriarchal hyena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Susan was a militant feminist for many years.

And Susan isn't a feminist now? Susan has softened her attitude toward men in some respects, but she won't tolerate any bad behavior of men toward women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And Susan isn't a feminist now? Susan has softened her attitude toward men in some respects, but she won't tolerate any bad behavior of men toward women.

Susan used to be a straw feminist -- that is to say, a contrived example full of bad attitudes to show how 'bad' feminists are to those on the outside looking in. Later on, as Dan's knowledge grew and his writing improved, she gradually outgrew the straw feminist phase and turned into someone with a far more balanced attitude. Dan is an honest enough writer that he had the transformation be gradual and occurring through character development rather than some sort of writer's asspull.

I am not saying this to in any way condemn or judge Dan. In fact, I've been through a similar learning experience myself. My initial ideas of feminism were unfortunately very much shaped by mainstream media sources that either had only the most superficial understanding of what it was about, no understanding whatsoever except prejudices or even actively seeking to discredit and misinform. Suffice it to say that when I was in my teens, my idea of what a feminist was closely resembled what Dan initially had Susan be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

As for big cats, Susan was a militant feminist for many years.  I have no doubt that those lazy male lions, who expect the females to do all the hunting, in exchange for protecting them from other male lions, would have come up at some point.  Most likely with a favorable comparison with the matriarchal hyena.

Hmmm ... ok, that would make sense. Especially considering she led the feminist club. Sure, most girls didn't took it seriously, but talking about stuff like this is quite likely topic of the meeting ... wait. Catalina was there. Of course Catalina certainly mentioned that.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Susan was a militant feminist for many years.

And Susan isn't a feminist now? Susan has softened her attitude toward men in some respects, but she won't tolerate any bad behavior of men toward women.

She's not militant feminist now.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:
4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And Susan isn't a feminist now? Susan has softened her attitude toward men in some respects, but she won't tolerate any bad behavior of men toward women.

Susan used to be a straw feminist -- that is to say, a contrived example full of bad attitudes to show how 'bad' feminists are to those on the outside looking in. Later on, as Dan's knowledge grew and his writing improved, she gradually outgrew the straw feminist phase and turned into someone with a far more balanced attitude. Dan is an honest enough writer that he had the transformation be gradual and occurring through character development rather than some sort of writer's asspull.

I am not saying this to in any way condemn or judge Dan. In fact, I've been through a similar learning experience myself. My initial ideas of feminism were unfortunately very much shaped by mainstream media sources that either had only the most superficial understanding of what it was about, no understanding whatsoever except prejudices or even actively seeking to discredit and misinform. Suffice it to say that when I was in my teens, my idea of what a feminist was closely resembled what Dan initially had Susan be.

Not only that, with Susan's backstory her being straw feminist until she stopped and though about it make so much sense Dan could almost pretend it was deliberate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Not only that, with Susan's backstory her being straw feminist until she stopped and though about it make so much sense Dan could almost pretend it was deliberate.

The whole "Because he's a man" statement Susan's mom gave would have been what drove home the reason for Susan's view of men and her realization of it was a real turning point in her development,

But yes, Dan didn't have that plan for her originally but was able to write her out of being a straw character pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this