• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Friday September 14, 2018

If he did, then that raises the question of whether he is able to detect magic potential in unawakened people, since we know that he singles out those students who definitely are Awakened . . .

19 minutes ago, ijuin said:

If he did, then that raises the question of whether he is able to detect magic potential in unawakened people, since we know that he singles out those students who definitely are Awakened . . .

But Rhoda wasn't awakened at that point. I wouldn't be surprised though if Rhoda was Noah's tutor as well.

Anyway, I'm guessing Lucy had a similar reaction to Rhoda initial as George did to guys hanging around with Justin. Actually it would make sense if Lucy being nicer to Rhoda wasn't long after Rhoda started dating Catalina. Diane new about Catalina and that Rhoda was dating her despite Rhoda trying to keep that part secret. Lucy coming to the same conclusion that Rhoda was with another girl would have put things back to just being Lucy and Diane more often.

Diane's behaviour during Rhoda's introduction to Lucy certainly seemed suspicious though, I guess I can't really blame Lucy for thinking that Diane might lose interest in hanging out with her in favour of Rhoda, but the lack of communicating about it doesn't make it better for her.

2 hours ago, partner555 said:

Did Adrian arrange that? If yes, he's responsible for Diane and Rhoda becoming friends.

I'm not sure if that's in canon, but it sounds plausible.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

I don't believe there's any evidence in canon that Adrian knew Grace had any powers until Death Sentence. Adrian doesn't seem to sense anything magical in Diane or any resemblance to himself or his mother before meeting Susan. On Grace and Ellen's first day of school, it was Ellen's magic he sensed. Once he found out Grace had so much power in Death Sentence, Adrian briefly started to think how much he could accomplish by guiding her--until he remembered what had happened with Tedd's mom Noriko.

So, why wouldn't Adrian have detected Diane's magical potential? He's known her at least since her freshman year. Maybe we're about to learn a little more about that freshman year, given the flashback in the last panel. Or, maybe not. Maybe the most fitting motivation is that being so sure he really screwed up the lives of Noriko, Edward, and Tedd, he deliberately has been ignoring magic potential, although there's no way he doesn't know Nanase has magic. And until a three days ago (it's only the Monday morning after the Friday funfest at the mall) Adrian was convinced he couldn't possibly have any children, so he could have rationalized away any superficial resemblance he saw in Diane.

Of course, the mere lack of evidence for anything doesn't prove that it absolutely could not be so. More evidence could turn up. Dan has left plenty of working space for Adrian to have known a lot more about Diane than he's shown to us so far, and Adrian might have even brought Rhoda and Diane together because he knew they both had potential magic.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

But Rhoda wasn't awakened at that point. I wouldn't be surprised though if Rhoda was Noah's tutor as well.

Anyway, I'm guessing Lucy had a similar reaction to Rhoda initial as George did to guys hanging around with Justin. Actually it would make sense if Lucy being nicer to Rhoda wasn't long after Rhoda started dating Catalina. Diane new about Catalina and that Rhoda was dating her despite Rhoda trying to keep that part secret. Lucy coming to the same conclusion that Rhoda was with another girl would have put things back to just being Lucy and Diane more often.

Diane's behaviour during Rhoda's introduction to Lucy certainly seemed suspicious though, I guess I can't really blame Lucy for thinking that Diane might lose interest in hanging out with her in favour of Rhoda, but the lack of communicating about it doesn't make it better for her.

So are you suggesting that Lucy has a crush on Diane? I kind of got that vibe as well but didn’t want to make assumptions.

4 hours ago, WR...S said:

Rhoda wasn't awakened, but she was powerful, hence Pandora's shock when she awakened her.

Actually, Pandora didn't awaken her. The cause of her shock was that Rhoda was awakened at all.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:

Actually, Pandora didn't awaken her. The cause of her shock was that Rhoda was awakened at all.

She marked Rhoda, and that's how she started to awake. The shock was with how fast she awakened.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

@detrius

I don't know, I think this might be more relevant:

I dunno, I think they're both the same, Grace was going through who she knows to be either gay or bi and it's not fitting with Justin's statement. She might also have the "at least a little bi" opinion base on observations of others. Who knows how many students at school has set her relationship senses off, though it raises the question of if Rhoda's told her anything about Diane or if Grace has seen how Lucy behaves around Diane and if Grace got any vibes from them?

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I don't know, I think this might be more relevant:

I dunno, I think they're both the same, Grace was going through who she knows to be either gay or bi and it's not fitting with Justin's statement. She might also have the "at least a little bi" opinion base on observations of others. Who knows how many students at school has set her relationship senses off, though it raises the question of if Rhoda's told her anything about Diane or if Grace has seen how Lucy behaves around Diane and if Grace got any vibes from them?

... are her relationship senses just attention to detail and reading body language, or does she ACTUALLY has some sense helping her? Even without antenae showing?

But even in reality, it's quite likely number of heterosexuals is considerably lower than number of people identifying as one. It IS sort of default "didn't-think-about-it" option.

In comics, it can be even bigger difference. And we can always blame magic.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:33 PM, Entropy said:
On 9/14/2018 at 5:08 PM, partner555 said:

She marked Rhoda, and that's how she started to awake. The shock was with how fast she awakened.

Yes. While her awakening would be expected, how fast she awakened was surprising.

On 9/14/2018 at 2:49 PM, Tom Sewell said:

I don't believe there's any evidence in canon that Adrian knew Grace had any powers until Death Sentence. Adrian doesn't seem to sense anything magical in Diane or any resemblance to himself or his mother before meeting Susan. On Grace and Ellen's first day of school, it was Ellen's magic he sensed. Once he found out Grace had so much power in Death Sentence, Adrian briefly started to think how much he could accomplish by guiding her--until he remembered what had happened with Tedd's mom Noriko.

I think he sensed magic in both of them. When he said those two have excellent potential, he certainly wasn't talking about being good in history.

So, why wouldn't Adrian have detected Diane's magical potential? He's known her at least since her freshman year. Maybe we're about to learn a little more about that freshman year, given the flashback in the last panel. Or, maybe not. Maybe the most fitting motivation is that being so sure he really screwed up the lives of Noriko, Edward, and Tedd, he deliberately has been ignoring magic potential, although there's no way he doesn't know Nanase has magic. And until a three days ago (it's only the Monday morning after the Friday funfest at the mall) Adrian was convinced he couldn't possibly have any children, so he could have rationalized away any superficial resemblance he saw in Diane.

Note that Nanase is special case: he KNOWS her mother and what she's capable of and wouldn't dare to approach Nanase without her permission.

and Adrian might have even brought Rhoda and Diane together because he knew they both had potential magic.

Considering the likehood of him arranging Rhoda as Grace's teacher, yes ... but his motivation might be just to keep her in class. I mean, when someone has problems in history AND has magic potential, he arranges tutoring, while the people without magic potential, well, he just let them fail the exams.

On 9/14/2018 at 0:42 PM, Scotty said:

Rhoda seem to not be as good at hiding her relationship as she thinks to be. Although I wonder if it's really just "so Diane is free for me" or if she sees her as someone deserving support now when she knows she's not straight.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Considering the likehood of him arranging Rhoda as Grace's teacher, yes ... but his motivation might be just to keep her in class. I mean, when someone has problems in history AND has magic potential, he arranges tutoring, while the people without magic potential, well, he just let them fail the exams.

I think it's more specifically "assigning a student who has magic potential as the tutor for a student with magic potential". In other words, it wouldn't be quite the same if the student he chose to be the tutor was not magical.

16 hours ago, ijuin said:

I think it's more specifically "assigning a student who has magic potential as the tutor for a student with magic potential". In other words, it wouldn't be quite the same if the student he chose to be the tutor was not magical.

I understood that. I'm just not so sure it's such case and presenting alternative explanation.

On 9/15/2018 at 6:03 PM, hkmaly said:

Note that Nanase is special case: he KNOWS her mother and what she's capable of and wouldn't dare to approach Nanase without her permission.

Wouldn't dare? You have to fear to dare, and Adrian has never shown fear for himself, only for others.

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
On 9/16/2018 at 3:03 AM, hkmaly said:

Wouldn't dare? You have to fear to dare, and Adrian has never shown fear for himself, only for others.

We never saw him together with Mrs. Kitsune, did we?

21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Nanase stated that Adrian was her mom's least favorite teacher, either it's due to her not wanting to take magic seriously, or because she also blames Adrian for Noriko abandoning Tedd, or probably both. Maybe she gave Adrian an earful when Edward and Noriko split up.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 9/18/2018 at 0:37 AM, hkmaly said:

Nanase stated that Adrian was her mom's least favorite teacher, either it's due to her not wanting to take magic seriously, or because she also blames Adrian for Noriko abandoning Tedd, or probably both. Maybe she gave Adrian an earful when Edward and Noriko split up.

Exactly.

And I don't think it was experience Adrian would like to repeat, not speaking about possibility of worse threats she already made.

16 hours ago, Scotty said:

You know, it begs the question of why Mamase sent her daughter there if she wanted her family to avoid all contact with Raven.

3 hours ago, partner555 said:

You know, it begs the question of why Mamase sent her daughter there if she wanted her family to avoid all contact with Raven.

Well, presumably MSHS is the default public school for the part of Moperville she lives in. It might have been difficult for her to arrange for Nanase to go to MNHS (at least without getting Mr. Veres to pull some strings), and she might not have had the money for private school or have been up to homeschooling.

In spite of her personal feelings for the man, Mrs Kitsune may still respect Adrian's ability as a educator.

Remember, she is far more aware of Nanase's abilities and activities than she admits to her daughter.  Perhaps putting Nanase in contact with people like Adrian and Sensei Greg is a deliberate choice?  Just because Mrs Kitsune has some magical awareness and ability does not necessarily mean that she is a good magical teacher.  And by stating objections, she had given Nanase a way out if her daughter wasn't serious about the esoteric.

Noriko's plan was for Tedd to be her apprentice, but she was ready to leave her child when that wand failed to detect magical ability.  Mrs Kitsune may have decided that she needed to be a mother to her children and let others be their teachers.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

In spite of her personal feelings for the man, Mrs Kitsune may still respect Adrian's ability as a educator.

Remember, she is far more aware of Nanase's abilities and activities than she admits to her daughter.  Perhaps putting Nanase in contact with people like Adrian and Sensei Greg is a deliberate choice?  Just because Mrs Kitsune has some magical awareness and ability does not necessarily mean that she is a good magical teacher.  And by stating objections, she had given Nanase a way out if her daughter wasn't serious about the esoteric.

Noriko's plan was for Tedd to be her apprentice, but she was ready to leave her child when that wand failed to detect magical ability.  Mrs Kitsune may have decided that she needed to be a mother to her children and let others be their teachers.

Some of the words Mama Kitsune may have had with Adrian might have been "My daughter will be attending this school at some point, teach her history, math, spanish for all I care, but magic is off limits even if she happens to show 'great potential'."