• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

NP Friday June 10, 2016

It's adorable to see Diane geeking out like this, even if she does deny it.

How she justifies seeing this film to Lucy, despite it's "dorky" origins, is interesting though. It's because it is a big-budget blockbuster. In other words: it is commercially successful.

Too many people sadly think like this. For them, films and other artforms are only worthy of respect if they make money, not because of what they mean for the audience. It's such a pitiful way of thinking.

Lucy's hair is rather jarring to me though, not so much as when Nanase went from having a swatable ponytail to getting it cut short, but I didn't recognize her as Lucy when I saw her like that.

Anyway, not surprising Diane would want to see Warcraft because of the Griffins, although they're called Gryphons in Warcraft. There's also Hippogryphs (in the game not the movie) though I don't think those are the hippos Tara mentioned.

I often wonder how someone who has experienced the fantastic will react to fantasy in art.

I know many astronauts and others in NASA will credit science fiction for their interest in science.  But how does someone who has been to space, but had not been a sci-fi fan previously, react to the latest Trek remake?

Susan has no interest in vampire fiction, for some inexplicable reason.

Diane has become a closeted fan girl.  Will Warcraft: The World of The Movie, live up to her expectations?

And would (could) a Griffon actually carry a human on its back?

On an tangential note...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

There's also Hippogryphs (in the game not the movie) though I don't think those are the hippos Tara mentioned.

When did "Hippo" cease to be a synonym for horse for the typical English speaker and instead refer to the hippopotamus?

Yes I know the original Warcraft game series was just called Warcraft THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT

Actually, the first game in the series was called Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Then you had Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, the expansion for that called Beyond the Dark Portal, Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, and its expansion, The Frozen Throne. Then, of course, after all that, you've got World of Warcraft, the only game in the series to not have a subtitle.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

She at least doesn't like vampire romance. I get the feeling she might be slightly more accepting of vampire hunting fiction

Maybe? Assuming their flight isn't 100% magic and the wing action is required in some fashion, have a human riding on its back would make flight difficult due to legs getting in the way of wings, squeezing flight muscles to stay on its back, the fact that humans are heavy... but I doubt it would be impossible.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

There's also Hippogryphs (in the game not the movie) though I don't think those are the hippos Tara mentioned.

When did "Hippo" cease to be a synonym for horse for the typical English speaker and instead refer to the hippopotamus?

Probably around the time Latin stopped being mandatory for understanding the Bible. Either that or when the African safari started to become a major thing in popular culture. Interesting tidbit: the word hippopotamus literally means 'River Horse'

I like Lucy's new hair.  Looks like she went to the tea shop several times and the hair "stuck".  The pervert in me approves of the idea of legal age high school girls being tea transformed repeatedly.  And I can see the gold digger type girl that Lucy is doing just that.  Dan, get on that, make the tea shop canon.

Andrea (as shown in the imagination panel) might be able to carry someone of Diane's weight (120-130 pounds?). Tara would definitely be strong enough.

No, Dan. Just because World of Warcraft is bigger in pop culture does not mean it is the correct title for the movie. If the movie isn't about "World of Warcraft" the massively multiplayer online roleplaying game, but is instead somsething set in the world(s) that the Warcraft franchise takes place in, than "Warcraft" is, in fact, the correct title for it. Your subconscious need to add "world of" to it just because that's what you're more familiar with is wrong, and you need to tell your subconscious to go sit in a corner somewhere and be quiet.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

Lucy's hair is rather jarring to me though, not so much as when Nanase went from having a swatable ponytail to getting it cut short, but I didn't recognize her as Lucy when I saw her like that.

I second this.

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I know many astronauts and others in NASA will credit science fiction for their interest in science.  But how does someone who has been to space, but had not been a sci-fi fan previously, react to the latest Trek remake?

There wasn't that many astronauts in space ... I guess we can check if there was someone between them who was NOT sci-fi fan previously.

She has no interest in vampire romance. She might enjoy some of more traditional vampire fiction where the vampire ends up with mouth filled with garlic ... and head detached from body. (Might.)

Diane has become a closeted fan girl.

Become? It's possible she always was one.

Probably not with the enthusiasm shown in last panel, but I CAN imagine there will be need to carry experienced vampire hunter somewhere ... or at least, that's what I would tell Diane to get her to train :)

3 minutes ago, Aura Guardian said:

I'm assuming this takes place AFTER Diane found out she's a potential vampire hunter.

If the imagined sequence which includes Andrea isn't supposed to be BIG coincidence, then obviously.

12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Diane has become a closeted fan girl.  Will Warcraft: The World of The Movie, live up to her expectations?

From what I've heard so far, if Diane didn't secretly play any of the warcraft games, she might not get much of what happens, this is likely one of those movies that would see a "meh" kind of score on the critic approval site that Tendsaided's video store uses. but it seems that fans of the franchise are enjoying it with no real complaints, and it's apparently busted open the box offices in China already with nearly $100 mill USD made.

I'm hoping to go see it tomorrow. :)

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

Well considering the Hippogryphs in WoW have antlers, I would consider it more of a Winged Wapiti than something more equine.

10 hours ago, Howitzer said:

Then, of course, after all that, you've got World of Warcraft, the only game in the series to not have a subtitle.

Unless, of course, you count the expansions, World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, World of Warcraft: Mysts of Pandaria, World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor, and the upcoming World of Warcraft: Legion. ;)

47 minutes ago, Scotty said:

From what I've heard so far, if Diane didn't secretly play any of the warcraft games

That's a BIG if :)

(I suppose there is point in the movie where all three girls will be like "I can't laugh at this, others would recognize I played the game" ...)

25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That's a BIG if :)

(I suppose there is point in the movie where all three girls will be like "I can't laugh at this, others would recognize I played the game" ...)

Diane and Lucy, sure, Rhoda likely wouldn't care who knew. She's more openly nerdy than Diane and Lucy.

Oh, and Diane would so be a Forsaken Rogue in WoW. Gankin' Gnomes in Ironforge. ;)

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Diane and Lucy, sure, Rhoda likely wouldn't care who knew. She's more openly nerdy than Diane and Lucy.

True ; she will just be too shy to laugh loudly.

43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

True ; she will just be too shy to laugh loudly.

Huh...that is true. Ok, they'll all keep quiet, but Rhoda will have different reasons. Diane and Lucy not wanting people to see them geek out about something, Rhoda just not wanting to draw too much attention to herself.

Though...I wonder if Rhoda would come back later with Catalina. I think Catalina would like Warcraft. Actually I shouldn't state that seeing as I haven't seen the movie yet, darned hype train... lol