• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Old Hack

Story Friday April 28, 2017

92 posts in this topic

Hmmm.  It is pretty common in spiritual studies as well as in fiction, that the possessed individual must invite in the spirit.

I wonder whether Dan is going to break with that tradition.

 

Also, I notice that 910CMX is no longer listed on EGS's "Extras" page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can the butler defend, since Sirleck is in the same plane?

How soft/hard was that thunk?

And why am I thinking of "Invasion of the Anti-Body Snatchers"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plans in motion...

21 minutes ago, Asari said:

Also, I notice that 910CMX is no longer listed on EGS's "Extras" page.

I think that's because Dan hasn't been here since at least a year before the Crash. He has no presence on the forums, so he can hardly call them "the official forum for EGS". I'm sure he made a tweet or tumblr post explaining in more detail.

If I remember correctly, he left due to the hostile attitudes of some forum members that were banned afterwards.

4 minutes ago, Stature said:

Can the butler defend, since Sirleck is in the same plane?

Sirleck has the element of surprise. That's -4 to the butler's initiative. Plus Sirleck is about to do a full-body grapple, giving Butler a severe dexterity penalty. I have doubts on Butler's ability to fight back.

4 minutes ago, Stature said:

How soft/hard was that thunk?

Enough to break his nose, probably. He landed on his face, and it looks like there's blood splatter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Asari said:

Hmmm.  It is pretty common in spiritual studies as well as in fiction, that the possessed individual must invite in the spirit.

I wonder whether Dan is going to break with that tradition.

I think Dan already has. Does the butler look willing?

What Sirleck reminds me of most is the alien body stealer in The Hidden: Takes over hosts and wears them out. For an extremely creepy webcomic on this theme, try The Settlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Asari said:

Hmmm.  It is pretty common in spiritual studies as well as in fiction, that the possessed individual must invite in the spirit.

I wonder whether Dan is going to break with that tradition.

 

Also, I notice that 910CMX is no longer listed on EGS's "Extras" page.

It's been like that for a while now.

Also, Sirleck's body looks like a spine without the meaty stuff. Creepy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Dan's commentary, this is pretty horrifying. I also have doubts about this butler's ability to live beyond the next week or two.

1 hour ago, Asari said:

Hmmm.  It is pretty common in spiritual studies as well as in fiction, that the possessed individual must invite in the spirit.

I wonder whether Dan is going to break with that tradition.

 

Also, I notice that 910CMX is no longer listed on EGS's "Extras" page.

I follow Dan on Twitter, and I think he delisted it after the crash. Not 100% sure about that though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Look at those tendrils though.  In previous appearances, it seemed like Sirleck merely hooked onto the nose and ears, but those would snake into the head some considerable distance.  Creepy stuff.

RE loss of forum endorsement, it was several months after the crash, after the forum briefly stopped loading anything except the front page and then came back up with all the images missing and all the post backgrounds turned lavender (in an extended analogy (edit: albeit non-literal and of an analogy which was also literal to begin with), would this be considered an aftershock??? meanwhile **** you 2016). 

Incidentally, that was also the last straw inasmuch as I gave up on hoping that the CSS would be fixed (when it was getting progressively worse) and wrote a script to patch it myself.

 

Edited by HarJIT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a feeling that when Dan tweeted about this comic being "not a right before bed" comic, that there was possible nightmare fuel involved, looks like my suspicions were correct and I'm glad I didn't try to stay up for it*.

Everyone else pretty much covered the rest, Sirleck must have left the estate to the butler, would be funny if later, Sirleck gets killed without killing the butler and we see the butler suddenly realize he needs a butler. :)

 

*We'll see if I survive tonight.

ijuin likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had an epiphany: It wasn't that Dan didn't want to create a reporter that was not Carol Brown to announce the death of whats-his-name; it was so he wouldn't have to make up a name for Sirleck's rich host. Dan's been very stingy with names. He hasn't yet given surnames to Diane, Rhoda, Noah, Melissa, George, Tony, Liz, Ashley, and Lucy. The only parents with first names are Tedd's. If Dan keeps this up, most of his characters may go on strike, perhaps organized by the demonic duck, whom we know to be a union duck. Come to think of it, the duck doesn't have a name either.

ijuin likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sirleck may not intend to take the butler.
He (it?) may have been waiting to make sure the butler discovered the body.
Even if they are in the same room, the Butler wouldn't see Sirleck unless Sirleck wanted to be visible to the Butler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

the Butler wouldn't see Sirleck unless Sirleck wanted to be visible to the Butler.

But Sirleck is visible to the Butler, or would be if the butler had eyes in the back of his head. If Sirleck was invisible, either we wouldn't be able to see him at all, or everything else in the scene would be faded. And one thing that's supposed to be common to all aberrations is that they have to assume their monstrous forms before they attack, assuming they aren't monstrous-looking all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fingerlegs fingerlegs fingerlegs fingerlegs

did sirleck mention something about this plan costing him a lot of his resources earlier? i forgot where that was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The linked comic mentions that Sirleck was planning on making his host someone who was low-profile and was not connected to his previous host. The butler doesn't fit this profile. I don't think the butler is going to be Sirleck's next full-time host, more of a temporary host until he can get into position to take the intended host.  From that same linked comic, the last two panels seem to imply that Sirleck is planning a double-cross.  It may have been said before, but I believe Sirleck is planning to take the new physical form of the wizard.  What would happen if Sirleck possessed a body of a wizard?  Would he have access to spells as well?

detrius likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

So did Sirleck leave the butler all his dead host's money? Or did Sirleck just have to get whatever host he could get right away?

On the other hand, after whatever villainy Sirleck is about to commit, maybe he could jump to another host. Then everyone will think the butler did it.

Sirleck is looking for a low-profile host without connections to his previous one.

He also obviously intends to betray Magus and take over his body after reviving him.

I suspect he kept that butler around as a failsafe, in case he had to abandon his old host. Now he has incorporated him in his plan as some sort of intermediate host before he can move on to his intended target.

He's probably going to "inherit" a fair amount of money, but not all of it.

ETA: missed Tuscahoma's post, that's pretty much what I'm thinking as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would happen if Sirleck possessed the body of one of the main characters? This is something I thought of quite a long time ago. It's such a disagreeable thought I haven't cared to analyze it much. But it's a trope that fits this story much too uncomfortably well.

First, consider what began this arc. Part 1, Legacy, tells the story of how a "rampaging monster" killed Blaike Raven. Dan didn't get around to confirming that the "rampaging monster" was a werewolf until Part 7: An Unkindness of Ravens, and on that same page it comes out that Pandora wiped out the werewolves (or at least thinks she did) and Adrian tries to guilt his mother for not even attempting to find a cure for the victims of the curse that made them into werewolves. And then we have Edward  telling Grace there is no curing aberrations in Part 8, Awkwardness Ahead. Note that if Edward is wrong about this, his refusal to consider the alternative is quite similar to Abraham's refusal to consider Ellen is not a monster.

BTW, I know that it's been said that Abraham got his name from the biblical Abraham who almost sacrificed his son Isaac. But I don't remember anyone connecting Abraham with Abraham van Helsing, the chief vampire hunter in Dracula.

Getting back on track, there are at least three plot points just in this arc that could be foreshadowing the monsterization of someone we EGS fans have grown to love. It's the go-to gotcha of countless vampire, werewolf, zombie, etc. stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mlooney said:

This is, to put it mildly, Not Good.

At least for the butler.

14 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

So did Sirleck leave the butler all his dead host's money?

Possibly he don't have so much left after paying all those vampires.

14 hours ago, Asari said:

Hmmm.  It is pretty common in spiritual studies as well as in fiction, that the possessed individual must invite in the spirit.

Which wasn't exactly matching what normal vampires are doing, so why would Sirleck need invitation? But we will see.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

I had a feeling that when Dan tweeted about this comic being "not a right before bed" comic, that there was possible nightmare fuel involved, looks like my suspicions were correct and I'm glad I didn't try to stay up for it*.

... I suppose I've build up my resistance too high for this :)

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I have had an epiphany: It wasn't that Dan didn't want to create a reporter that was not Carol Brown to announce the death of whats-his-name; it was so he wouldn't have to make up a name for Sirleck's rich host. Dan's been very stingy with names. He hasn't yet given surnames to Diane, Rhoda, Noah, Melissa, George, Tony, Liz, Ashley, and Lucy. The only parents with first names are Tedd's. If Dan keeps this up, most of his characters may go on strike, perhaps organized by the demonic duck, whom we know to be a union duck. Come to think of it, the duck doesn't have a name either.

The duck might actually not have a name, but yes, people generally have at least two. Dan is still better with names than me.

Note: Problem might be that Dan would need to drop Sirleck's host name BEFORE the news. We wouldn't be able to connect it otherwise ... hmm, wait, if we would saw photo of him, it could work ...

26 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

What would happen if Sirleck possessed the body of one of the main characters?

Susan would cut him into pieces.

27 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

And then we have Edward  telling Grace there is no curing aberrations in Part 8, Awkwardness Ahead.

Note that the aberration is Sirleck in this case. If Sirleck would possess some main character, the main character might be dead, but they would NOT count as aberrations, so there would be at least possibility they can cure them.

29 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

BTW, I know that it's been said that Abraham got his name from the biblical Abraham who almost sacrificed his son Isaac. But I don't remember anyone connecting Abraham with Abraham van Helsing, the chief vampire hunter in Dracula.

Hmmm ... note that Dan didn't mentioned Van Helsing's first name ... and mentioned that he's not familiar with original ... he might not know about this. Note that Van Helsing would likely NOT be known as "idiot apprentice who recklessly enchanted a massive diamond instead of selling it to pay someone more skilled to fix his cursed noble friend", he was skilled monster hunter with multiple doctorates, and is clean-shaved.

Of course, if the inspiration is something else than the original ...

29 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Getting back on track, there are at least three plot points just in this arc that could be foreshadowing the monsterization of someone we EGS fans have grown to love. It's the go-to gotcha of countless vampire, werewolf, zombie, etc. stories.

Possession by Magus, which seems more likely, would technically match this as well. Also, permakilling main character seems too dark for EGS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Which wasn't exactly matching what normal vampires are doing, so why would Sirleck need invitation? But we will see.

With traditional Hollywood vampires, they need an invitation to enter a dwelling.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Note that the aberration is Sirleck in this case. If Sirleck would possess some main character, the main character might be dead, but they would NOT count as aberrations, so there would be at least possibility they can cure them.

We don't know whether Sirleck's host is doomed.  The old man didn't die until Sirleck released him, and for all we know, he could have released him at some earlier point and he would have lived.  Killing Sirleck while he's on a host is equally unknown re fate of the host.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Van Helsing would likely NOT be known as "idiot apprentice who recklessly enchanted a massive diamond instead of selling it to pay someone more skilled to fix his cursed noble friend", he was skilled monster hunter with multiple doctorates, and is clean-shaved.

Van Helsing did give Lucy Westerna blood transfusions from four different men, no checking whether their blood types were compatible.  And then he blamed the vampire when she died.  (Not entirely his fault, it was another nine years before people had that even partially figured out, but he should at least have known it was dangerous and got moreso the more times he did it.)

Anyone who has read the original Stoker novel should go read Fred Saberhagan's The Dracula Tapes.  It's fun.  And just how contrived a world did Stoker create, where Dracula's solicitor's wife's best friend's former suitor's mentor just happens to be a famous vampire killer?  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Which wasn't exactly matching what normal vampires are doing, so why would Sirleck need invitation? But we will see.

With traditional Hollywood vampires, they need an invitation to enter a dwelling.

Bram Stoker's Dracula had this problem as well, although earlier vampires didn't.

6 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
Quote

Note that the aberration is Sirleck in this case. If Sirleck would possess some main character, the main character might be dead, but they would NOT count as aberrations, so there would be at least possibility they can cure them.

We don't know whether Sirleck's host is doomed.  The old man didn't die until Sirleck released him, and for all we know, he could have released him at some earlier point and he would have lived.  Killing Sirleck while he's on a host is equally unknown re fate of the host.

Exactly.

7 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Van Helsing did give Lucy Westerna blood transfusions from four different men, no checking whether their blood types were compatible.  And then he blamed the vampire when she died.  (Not entirely his fault, it was another nine years before people had that even partially figured out, but he should at least have known it was dangerous and got moreso the more times he did it.)

His knowledge was perfectly up-to-date and state-of-the-art. Sure, in 19th century that doesn't mean that much compared to 21th century, but EGS's Abraham was considered stupid even in his time.

11 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Anyone who has read the original Stoker novel should go read Fred Saberhagan's The Dracula Tapes.  It's fun.  And just how contrived a world did Stoker create, where Dracula's solicitor's wife's best friend's former suitor's mentor just happens to be a famous vampire killer?  ;-)

Well, actually, in original he wasn't famous vampire killer until he killed Dracula. But yes that seems interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Susan would cut him into pieces.

Potential problems:

  1. Susan would have to see Sirleck.
  2. Susan might not be able to kill Sirleck without killing his current host.
  3. Susan might be the one possessed.
7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

If Sirleck would possess some main character, the main character might be dead, but they would NOT count as aberrations, so there would be at least possibility they can cure them.

Absolutely true. But not being able to kill Sirleck without killing his innocent host is kind of a more immediate problem. Do we foresee something like A Christmas Carol with Sirleck in the role of Ebeneezer Scrooge? Neither do I, although the ways of Dan are indeed mysterious. Ever read Piers Anthony's For Love of Evil? In that one, Anthony actually creates sympathy for the Devil!

 

30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Possession by Magus, which seems more likely, would technically match this as well.

Yes it would, and would seem to be the most logical plot point to come. Or rather attempting to possess Magus. But if something thwarts him, particularly in the middle of the Brawl at the Mall come Friday (assuming Friday ever comes), Sirleck may possess any convenient host, particularly if he can't be invisible without a host. 

And before anyone else points out that the butler saw his rich old asshole master collapse and maybe die, Sirleck could have already abandoned him and been hiding on the ceiling waiting to pounce. Yes, it's kind of hard to believe that a brain-dead guy would remain standing long enough for the Butler to see him collapse without seeing a visible Sirleck flying away. I kind of think Dan was concentrating on making sure we knew the butler was Sirleck's host's. Maybe Dan has decided that Sirleck only has to become visible just before taking a new host. Maybe Dan forgot to fade the final except for Sirleck. Maybe if it is a small plot hole I'd do better to let pass, even if Mr. Tensaided wouldn't.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Also, permakilling main character seems too dark for EGS.

For EGS:NP, definitely. For the main storyline, maybe not. Take another look at Painted Black. And notice that there hasn't been all that much humor in Sister IIII have a theory that the wackiness in NP since Sister III began has served as a way for Dan to avoid too much wackiness in Sister III, and also as a way to help Dan cope with creating unpleasant situations in the main storyline.

I created a thread just for Ashley and I believe that's where I put in the disturbing speculation is that Ashley is doomed for the reasons that she has to make way for Susan and Elliot to get together, and that to make the drama in this series really affecting, someone who isn't just a redshirt has to die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Susan would cut him into pieces.

Potential problems:

  1. Susan would have to see Sirleck.
  2. Susan might not be able to kill Sirleck without killing his current host.
  3. Susan might be the one possessed.

1. Not really, she would only need to know he's there.

2. She's better with hammers but I think she's good enough with swords as well.

3. That would be problem, as in such case Diane would be needed to do the cutting, and she's unlikely to be as good with swords as Susan ...

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Ever read Piers Anthony's For Love of Evil? In that one, Anthony actually creates sympathy for the Devil!

Unfortunately no, but he was already sympathetic in Being a Green Mother .

19 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, permakilling main character seems too dark for EGS.

For EGS:NP, definitely. For the main storyline, maybe not. Take another look at Painted Black. And notice that there hasn't been all that much humor in Sister IIII have a theory that the wackiness in NP since Sister III began has served as a way for Dan to avoid too much wackiness in Sister III, and also as a way to help Dan cope with creating unpleasant situations in the main storyline.

I created a thread just for Ashley and I believe that's where I put in the disturbing speculation is that Ashley is doomed for the reasons that she has to make way for Susan and Elliot to get together, and that to make the drama in this series really affecting, someone who isn't just a redshirt has to die.

Susan is unlikely to be ready for Elliot for years ... and if you look at Painted Black Special Features, Dan originally wanted Damien to survive. And he apologized to Grace.

On the other hand ... Dan is getting older. It's 13 years. Maybe he is getting darker with time, and would consider such storyline now ... and it's true that Ashley is exactly in the sweet spot of being someone both characters and readers care about a lot, but is not actually part of main 8 planed from start who might get impenetrable plot armor accumulated from early years ... AND she's in the way of Susan's and Elliot relationship, although neither seems to object.

Also, this reminds me how I originally predicted that the magic reset wouldn't happen or it wouldn't be nearly as big issue as presented, with "too dark" being between arguments. With time, it seems more likely it WILL happen because otherwise all those plot threads related to it would be left dangling ... although, quite possibly, it won't happen YET.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Susan is unlikely to be ready for Elliot for years

So how old will Elliot's firstborn be when Susan is ready?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0