• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Wednesday Jan 25 2017

Recommended Posts

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2303

Was the car ok after you lift it?

But, yes, I would assume Grace can deal with average vampire. Also, maybe her Lespuko claws work on them ...

Also, wizard? Agent Wolf? Or Tedd? Adrian Raven? Hmmm ... actually, maybe she visited Adrian again ...

(I'm not sure why it couldn't be explained by shapeshifting ; she does gain new forms by applying transformation to her and Tedd did experimented with hair, why couldn't he load some different hair forms to her?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, partner555 said:

I like how quickly Edward guessed she actually did lift a car

Grace told Edward she could lift a car.  How could she know that unless she actually had lifted a car?

There is no way to cure, release, exorcise, or un-curse an aberration.  The underlying human had to go into the partnership willingly which means that the human was not a nice person in the first place. (Although this does not mean that the human necessarily knew all the details, or that the parasite did not employ some sort of coercion or deception.)

Why take the time to emphasize that particular point?

Moderate speculation.
We are going to see an established good-guy kill an aberration "live" in the comic.  Not as a tragic flashback.  And the audience needs to be aware that it was necessary and not an out-of-character moment for our hero.

Wild Speculation.
The Aberration Execution will take place at school because Sirleck's next host will be Bad Tom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There is no way to cure, release, exorcise, or un-curse an aberration.  The underlying human had to go into the partnership willingly which means that the human was not a nice person in the first place. (Although this does not mean that the human necessarily knew all the details, or that the parasite did not employ some sort of coercion or deception.) 

I think you've got a misconception here - as I understand it, there is no "partnership" involved. A human does not pair with a parasitic creature to become an aberration, the human all by himself becomes a parasitic creature that is an aberration. Sirleck - the creepy mask thing itself, not the body it happens to be on right now - used to be a human, and willingly sacrificed his humanity to become said creepy mask thing.

Sirleck happens to be a particular kind of aberration that exhibits its parasitic nature by taking control of human hosts, but that's not a general trait of all aberrations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Why is Edward focusing on lifting the car when Grace is obviously dealing with vampires?

Grace is obviously considering fighting vampires.  I don't think it's definite that she's ever dealt with any so far, and the way that she's struggling with a hypothetical seems to imply that she hasn't encountered any yet.  Her nightmare makes it clear that she's still struggling with the idea of having to hurt anyone, even a fire goo griffin that's eating Greg's arm.  If anything, it's a relief to Grace to find out that at least one potential enemy is not going to turn out to have a family and a chance at redemption.

(Technically, I suppose an aberration could have a family, but if so they would surely be better off without the aberration in their lives.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There is no way to cure, release, exorcise, or un-curse an aberration.  The underlying human had to go into the partnership willingly which means that the human was not a nice person in the first place. (Although this does not mean that the human necessarily knew all the details, or that the parasite did not employ some sort of coercion or deception.)

Correction: there isn't a partnership, willing or unwilling, mentioned. An aberration is not (as far as has been stated) a collaboration between a human and some other entity.

Sirleck is a former human who also chose to give up his shape to become a more classical parasite. Most aberrations just commit murder. Sirleck's method has a couple of big advantages: he doesn't leave a steady trail of corpses, and it doesn't become obvious that he doesn't age (because his host *does* age). The disadvantage is that every few decades he has to change hosts, during the course of which he's usually going to lose control of some of his wealth and possibly put all of it at risk... but then I suspect that most aberrations don't survive that long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She sure wants to be on the defensive, but the safety of one is the safety of all, so she should just use her might in pinning down opponents in the most pacifistic way possible. Paradoxical, maybe.

Whose? Who drives a Mini Coupe, then?

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Why is Edward focusing on lifting the car when Grace is obviously dealing with vampires?

Someone saying they can lift a car will always strike a chord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Douglas said:

Sirleck happens to be a particular kind of aberration that exhibits its parasitic nature by taking control of human hosts, but that's not a general trait of all aberrations.

Although it might be worth asking whether it is possible to separate an Aberration of Sirleck's type from its host and thus rescue the host, provided that the host isn't already virtually dead as Sirleck's current host is.

Anyway, I still believe that the "lacking empathy and remorse" part is a prerequisite to becoming an Aberration rather than an effect of it. It is not that becoming an Aberration removes one's empathy so much as it is that one must already be nearly devoid of empathy in order to choose to become something that can not survive without killing people at regular intervals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Although it might be worth asking whether it is possible to separate an Aberration of Sirleck's type from its host and thus rescue the host, provided that the host isn't already virtually dead as Sirleck's current host is.

Anyway, I still believe that the "lacking empathy and remorse" part is a prerequisite to becoming an Aberration rather than an effect of it. It is not that becoming an Aberration removes one's empathy so much as it is that one must already be nearly devoid of empathy in order to choose to become something that can not survive without killing people at regular intervals.

I think it's a little of both. When they were human, they technically had the capacity for empathy and remorse, but it wasn't leveraged, or at least wasn't leveraged enough to get in the way of murderous immortality. Once they became an abberation, they lost the very capacity of empathy and remorse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Moderate speculation.
We are going to see an established good-guy kill an aberration "live" in the comic.  Not as a tragic flashback.  And the audience needs to be aware that it was necessary and not an out-of-character moment for our hero.

I think this is likely, and my speculation is it'll either be Grace, Susan, or Diane. Or maybe Susan and Diane working together, or maybe all three. Sounds like there'll be plenty of aberrations to go around.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Why is Edward focusing on lifting the car when Grace is obviously dealing with vampires?

If this scene continues on Friday, we'll probably see Edward telling Grace that while wanting to protect people is all well and good, she shouldn't put herself at risk. She may possibly be the strongest person in Moperville, but she's still hesitant about fighting despite the fact that Edward just told her that vampires are pure evil. If Grace is going to be an effective fighter, she needs to put aside all hesitation and commit to the idea that it is necessary to fight sometimes.

 

 

Hmm...as I continue to look at it, I'm not sure I like Grace's hair in this page, she's always had straight hair and even the day before, she had straight hair.I've kinda come to think that the wavy hair, at least on main characters, was reserved for noncanon situations or transformations. I do realize that Grace has the ability to change her hair at will and likely has been zapped with a form that had wavy hair at some point, but it is kinda jarring to see a change like that without some sort of story behind their decision to do so. Nanase has her current style because she had been burnt out with black hair that she then dyed red, heck the original reason she cut her hair to begin with was that she wanted to have short hair for a change. And then we have Tedd who didn't want to hide the fact the he looked girly anymore and so cut his hair and made it pink. I guess it's still early, but if no one in comic comments about her wavy hair, it's going to seem weird to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Why is Edward focusing on lifting the car when Grace is obviously dealing with vampires?

Perhaps he is worried she tried to lift the car by it's bumper.  If she is actually using physical strength, she likely just tore off the bumper on her first try.  If her super-strength is more touch telekinetic, then yes, we have Comic Book Superhero lifting!

Edward will likely address the vampire issue in this conversation but might be wondering if he needs to call his insurance regarding his car.\

Or he's worried she's lifting other people's cars and might be spotted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Perhaps he is worried she tried to lift the car by it's bumper.  If she is actually using physical strength, she likely just tore off the bumper on her first try.  If her super-strength is more touch telekinetic, then yes, we have Comic Book Superhero lifting!

We know Grace can increase her physical strength with shapeshifting, she doesn't have to grab the bumper to lift a car, she more likely reached under and took hold of the chassis from the side, tilted it up, then grabbed the other side of the chassis and lifted.

 

Actually, I'm curious about Grace's fighting ability now. She's been training for about 9 months now (started in April of the previous year), and as of just before Christmas, she hadn't been able to effectively use her telekinetic shield yet, which I imagine she hasn't gotten any better at by now. However, I would expected that Greg would have started  Grace off with the basics of martial arts first, then moved to some more advanced stuff before trying to incorporating her own abilities into it, so she should have a decent grasp of techniques.

I don't think Greg would have started with Grace's shield first when incorporating her abilities, it's likely he would have gone with something that is easier for Grace to do, which is fly.

Basically, what I'm saying is, Grace is quite possibly much better at aerial combat than Elliot is in superhero form, and I think Elliot should probably join Ellen and Grace in training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ijuin said:

Although it might be worth asking whether it is possible to separate an Aberration of Sirleck's type from its host and thus rescue the host, provided that the host isn't already virtually dead as Sirleck's current host is.

Anyway, I still believe that the "lacking empathy and remorse" part is a prerequisite to becoming an Aberration rather than an effect of it. It is not that becoming an Aberration removes one's empathy so much as it is that one must already be nearly devoid of empathy in order to choose to become something that can not survive without killing people at regular intervals.

I'm assuming that Sirleck's current host is already braindead, but because of Sirleck's method of manipulation, he can keep running bodily functions as long as they will last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

We are going to see an established good-guy kill an aberration "live" in the comic.  Not as a tragic flashback.  And the audience needs to be aware that it was necessary and not an out-of-character moment for our hero.

I think this is likely, and my speculation is it'll either be Grace, Susan, or Diane. Or maybe Susan and Diane working together, or maybe all three. Sounds like there'll be plenty of aberrations to go around.

Maybe all three, back to back, killing aberration who tries to attack them until they stand on pile of dead aberrations ...

7 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:
15 hours ago, mlooney said:

Why is Edward focusing on lifting the car when Grace is obviously dealing with vampires?

Perhaps he is worried she tried to lift the car by it's bumper.  If she is actually using physical strength, she likely just tore off the bumper on her first try.  If her super-strength is more touch telekinetic, then yes, we have Comic Book Superhero lifting!

Note that Grace has actual short-but-nonzero-range telekinesis as well and was training it. Maybe she's lifting car with her mind.

... but, yes, generally first try in lifting car might result in damage of the car ...

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

Actually, I'm curious about Grace's fighting ability now. She's been training for about 9 months now (started in April of the previous year), and as of just before Christmas, she hadn't been able to effectively use her telekinetic shield yet, which I imagine she hasn't gotten any better at by now. However, I would expected that Greg would have started  Grace off with the basics of martial arts first, then moved to some more advanced stuff before trying to incorporating her own abilities into it, so she should have a decent grasp of techniques.

I agree with this expectation. 9 months should be enough to get decent knowledge of "non-magic" martial arts.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't think Greg would have started with Grace's shield first when incorporating her abilities, it's likely he would have gone with something that is easier for Grace to do, which is fly.

Not necessary ; remember that Greg DOES have shield, but doesn't have flying. He might started with shield because he has something to teach her about it. He may not know how to teach aerial combat.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

Basically, what I'm saying is, Grace is quite possibly much better at aerial combat than Elliot is in superhero form, and I think Elliot should probably join Ellen and Grace in training.

Getting better than Elliot wouldn't be hard :), and Grace apparently have some instinct for aerial combat to build on (or maybe already trained).

Assuming Greg doesn't know aerial combat by some unknown mean, best available teacher will be Nanase. She has lot of experience from flying as fairy, some with flying by other spell, and she MAY be able to utilize at least part of what she tried with guardian form integrated instincts.

Both Grace and Elliot should be training aerial combat with her, if they don't already. (Hmmm ... based on what Elliot shown in mall, he probably doesn't.)

2 hours ago, weirdee said:

I'm assuming that Sirleck's current host is already braindead, but because of Sirleck's method of manipulation, he can keep running bodily functions as long as they will last.

Sirleck's current host is already braindead, but it may not be necessary for him to take over - it's possible that for some initial time, the host is still alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Not necessary ; remember that Greg DOES have shield, but doesn't have flying. He might started with shield because he has something to teach her about it. He may not know how to teach aerial combat.

53 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Assuming Greg doesn't know aerial combat by some unknown mean, best available teacher will be Nanase. She has lot of experience from flying as fairy, some with flying by other spell, and she MAY be able to utilize at least part of what she tried with guardian form integrated instincts.

We don't really know if Nanase's flight combat is self taught, or if her and Greg worked out some techniques together. Even if Greg can't fly himself, if Nanase developed her flight combat during ASMA training, Greg might have remembered what she did and apply it to Grace's training.

Nanase might be the best choice since it'd be one flyer teaching another, but Nanase wasn't keen on joining a new dojo, so I dunno if she'd be up for joining Ellen and Grace's private sessions. And yes, I'm still assuming that Grace and Ellen are getting Greg's time through the dojo and not paying Greg directly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Not necessary ; remember that Greg DOES have shield, but doesn't have flying. He might started with shield because he has something to teach her about it. He may not know how to teach aerial combat.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Assuming Greg doesn't know aerial combat by some unknown mean, best available teacher will be Nanase. She has lot of experience from flying as fairy, some with flying by other spell, and she MAY be able to utilize at least part of what she tried with guardian form integrated instincts.

We don't really know if Nanase's flight combat is self taught, or if her and Greg worked out some techniques together. Even if Greg can't fly himself, if Nanase developed her flight combat during ASMA training, Greg might have remembered what she did and apply it to Grace's training.

Hmmm ... that actually does make sense. On the other hand, even if true Greg might still start with shield and do the flying afterwards.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Nanase might be the best choice since it'd be one flyer teaching another, but Nanase wasn't keen on joining a new dojo, so I dunno if she'd be up for joining Ellen and Grace's private sessions. And yes, I'm still assuming that Grace and Ellen are getting Greg's time through the dojo and not paying Greg directly.

I still assume they are paying Greg directly :)

I think that training flying in dojo wouldn't be good idea anyway. While learning to fly in tight space would be on list, they should start the training outside. Three people flying in one room, even big, sounds like advanced training in collision avoidance.

(Note: Almost forgot: Susan might want to join the lessons with her fairy.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Elliot certainly WASN'T getting any training in flying combat, but I bet he starts PDQ. Since Tara made the lack rather obvious.

Elliot couldn't fly back then, and Greg announced that he was closing his dojo before Elliot realized he could fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I didn't just mean that Elliot wasn't getting the training at Greg's dojo. I meant he wasn't getting it up until just a couple days ago (comic time).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Oh, I didn't just mean that Elliot wasn't getting the training at Greg's dojo. I meant he wasn't getting it up until just a couple days ago (comic time).

Elliot was probably maintaining his martial arts skills in his basement, but as far as we can tell, he hasn't recieved any more training from Greg since he closed the ASMA dojo.

I think Elliot viewed his magic as a "use it when you need it" kinda thing, maybe he didn't want to rely on magic all the time so never really trained with it as much, it was obvious during the incident with Tara that he maybe used the superhero form a few times, and half of them didn't involve combat.

He might have also been lazy about training his magic, since that would have required studying his spellbook which we know he hasn't done in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Oh, I didn't just mean that Elliot wasn't getting the training at Greg's dojo. I meant he wasn't getting it up until just a couple days ago (comic time).

Elliot was probably maintaining his martial arts skills in his basement, but as far as we can tell, he hasn't recieved any more training from Greg since he closed the ASMA dojo.

Not sure why specifically basement, but yes, likely individually.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I think Elliot viewed his magic as a "use it when you need it" kinda thing, maybe he didn't want to rely on magic all the time so never really trained with it as much, it was obvious during the incident with Tara that he maybe used the superhero form a few times, and half of them didn't involve combat.

He might have also been lazy about training his magic, since that would have required studying his spellbook which we know he hasn't done in a while.

I think "lazy" matches more. Apparently he didn't watched Spiderman, otherwise he would know that being superhero isn't just about looking good. Or, possibly he trained his strength and agility while cheerleadra, but it didn't occurred to him he might also want to train flying and aerial combat. Despite his second experience as cheerleadra involving ... flying and aerial combat.

I guess making video reviews with Susan was more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Not sure why specifically basement, but yes, likely individually.

Because thats where Ellen was practicing when Sarah called after Elliot was kidnapped. And I'm pretty sure they have gym equipment down there, they at least have a punching bag, because I don't think Tedd's got one at his place.

Oh yeah, commentary of the last link:

" 3 – I need to show more of the Dunkel’s basement someday. We know they have a boxing bag down there, and I’m betting there’s other fancy exercise equipment, too. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Elliot certainly WASN'T getting any training in flying combat, but I bet he starts PDQ. Since Tara made the lack rather obvious.

It's a pity Tara can't stick around.  If she has any experience fighting humanoids in aerial combat, she could probably contribute quite a bit.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think that training flying in dojo wouldn't be good idea anyway. While learning to fly in tight space would be on list, they should start the training outside. Three people flying in one room, even big, sounds like advanced training in collision avoidance.

It's a lot easier to make sure you're unobserved indoors, but the ceiling would be a limiting factor.  They should do some training indoors and some outdoors, ideally, so they're ready for either situation.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(Note: Almost forgot: Susan might want to join the lessons with her fairy.)

She has *got* to quote Spock, if she does...."His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

She has *got* to quote Spock, if she does...."His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking!"

Grunt, snap snarl etc.  Button push.

In space combat between two ships, there is only 1 (one) dimension to deal with.  "Any two points determine a line"  With 3, of course you have two dimension, it's not until you get to 4 or more ships that you get to 3 dimensions.  Space is not the ocean and star ships don't get to act like aircraft and/or submarines.  If the sensors on a space craft only work in the plain that the that the craft is in vs 360x360 or at least 360x180, they are freaking useless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this